 Off-Topic / Debate / 14406
Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:08:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

So, fellow Experts...  Which science magazine do you think I should get?
I'm thinking of something that dumbs things down a tiny bit so as to aim for
the general population (so Nature and Science are, sadly, out), without
getting too silly (adios, Discover).  I'm really leaning towards Scientific
American, New Scientist, or Science News...  Any critiques?  suggestions?
flames?

I would favor Scientific American but that's just because I've never read
the other two. I find SA to be a very absorbing read. But it's not a read
while watching TV sort of rag, you need to give it your full attention to
get what the articles are conveying. Kind of spendy compared to less meaty
magazines. But you get what you pay for.

We get New Scientist, it tends to be a bit "current" but it is a good read.
The range of articles in it means one can spend and afternoon with it, or
just a cup of coffee. It does not have the depth of Scientific American, but
the detail is sufficient. Its bad point is its passion for large naff (&
often irrelevant?) graphics.

Must read : Feedback
Never read : Jobs... around 1/3 of the mag (beware!)

Scott A

PS I thought the recent article on Russia in NG quite fascinating. But 3
generations??? that's depressing.