 Off-Topic / Debate / 14399
14398  |  14400
Subject:
Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:46:29 GMT

I don't know what bothers me more--that the Discovery Channel (and its
siblings) posture themselves as serious proponents of science, or that the
Discovery Channel Store sells magnetic insoles (and their siblings) as if
they have any physical therapeutic benefit whatsoever.

(Not that Discover magazine really has anything to do with Discovery
Communications Inc., but still...)

So here's a little story.  I'm in the position where, to compliment my
National Geographic collection, I'm looking for a subscription to any one
popular science magazine (1) and was taking a long, hard look at Discover.

I used to really like the magazine, and had something of a soft spot for it,
even though I knew from day one that it was just another Disney publication
with some disturbing new-agey pseudoscientific garbage.  I have come to
think that this fondness I held was due to my being incredibly naive when I
first started reading it.  Then, recently, I acquired my parents' collection
starting from 1989 and ranging to last month's.  And wow, what a long
strange trip it's been...

Looking through the older issues, it does seem that there were some
fantastic articles in each one, more so than in a typical issue today.
However, the majority of the ads then were pretty much limited to the
forgettable
conscience-expanding-universe-harmonizing-crystal-alignment-audio-tapes and
herbal-products-so-good-you'll-swear-off-modern-medicine junk.  It was then,
and is still today, an odd combo.

Looking at today's issues, they're taking more "legitimate" (mainstream)
ads, but the articles are more and more of the
seven-page-paid-ad-for-herbal-products-so-good-you'll-swear-off-modern-medicine-masquerading-as-an-article
(2) variety, invariably praising untested and/or unreviewed Breakthroughs In
Science, with questionable references to pseudoscientific Experts.  Throw in
a dash of Technobabble for good measure.

It's also interesting to note that they've silently dropped the text "The
World of Science" from their title "Discover The World of Science",
presumably because "Discover The World of Pseudoscientific Mumbo-Jumbo And
Sensationalist New Age Mysticism Because It Pays Us A Whole Lot More" took
up too much space in the masthead...

I'm thinking of taking the time to measure the increase in ad quality and
charting that against the decrease in article quality, perhaps comparing it
against similar trends in other Disney venues such as ABC programming and
their stranglehold in the Happy Meals racket.  But then that would take WORK
-- and besides, by Discover magazine's standards, we're all Experts anyhow
and we don't need to offer evidence for our findings.

So, fellow Experts...  Which science magazine do you think I should get?
I'm thinking of something that dumbs things down a tiny bit so as to aim for
the general population (so Nature and Science are, sadly, out), without
getting too silly (adios, Discover).  I'm really leaning towards Scientific
American, New Scientist, or Science News...  Any critiques?  suggestions?
flames?

Um, ok, rant over.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  barring, of course, Popular Science as it's really Popular Mechanics but
with only half the automotive articles...a good read, but not really
science-oriented

2.  In fact, the only difference I can see between a typical modern Discover
magazine article and the huge Texaco 16-page ad spreads is that the Texaco
ads are clearly marked at the top of the page as advertisement.  I wouldn't
have so much of an issue with Discover if they marked their
front-cover-article-hailing-a-better-cholesterol-drug-on-the-market-soon
stuff as ads too; it would make finding the decent articles *so* much easier...