 Off-Topic / Debate / 14423
Re: Doing the Discover Mag Rag (Was: At last, a Federal program we can all support.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:55:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

So, fellow Experts...  Which science magazine do you think I should get?
I'm thinking of something that dumbs things down a tiny bit so as to aim for
the general population (so Nature and Science are, sadly, out), without
getting too silly (adios, Discover).  I'm really leaning towards Scientific
American, New Scientist, or Science News...  Any critiques?  suggestions?
flames?

Science News.  It's thin.  It's weekly.  It summarizes the findings from all
the real journals with enough reference that you can go get the whole article
if you want to.  And you can always pick up the especially interesting
Scientific American at the grocery store as you check out.  I got Science news
for years but let it lapse in favor of Smithsonian which I call the best
magazine on earth (but not for science) (and only slightly ahead of Saveur).

Chris