 Off-Topic / Debate / 14407
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:11:12 GMT

To Ross's point, yes, we may well make ourselves go extinct. It cannot be
ruled out. But I consider it highly unlikely already. We are at/close to a
cusp in the probability... As soon as we escape this basket, even if just • to
other parts of this system, the chances go way further down. They go down
again, to almost nil, once we start colonising other systems.

Have you read the novels "Last and First Men" and "Starmaker" by Olaf
Stapledon? They deal with exactly those issues but on a grand scale, and are
*exceptionally* humbling reads. Highly recommended!

Jennifer