 Off-Topic / Debate / 14408
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 14:18:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Low writes:

I understood Larry's point differently, in that optimistically we might
never go extinct (technology propelling us beyond the earth, the solar
system, the galaxy, the universe...), but in terms of biological evolution
we're more or less at a dead end (deliberate genetic manipulation aside[1]).

  "Dead end" has an air of finality that can't be declared with any
confidence when speaking of evolution.  It may be the case, though I don't
think so, that we've created a temporary stall on evolution, but even then,
it's not world-wide, and it's so ridiculously brief that it's bound to be of
infinitessimal impact over the long haul.
  Evolution, as we all know, takes place in geologic time; the entire sum of
human experience is hardly a blip on the radar when considered on that scale.

     Dave!