 Off-Topic / Debate / 14440
Re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:39:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
... or why foreign patents are less important than US patents

Foreign patents are no less important than US patents in my view and that of
Mr. Goldberg

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-goldberg102501.shtml

To me it seems the US are trying to save some money in this case, whereas
they did just about everything to protect their own profits with anti AIDS
products. This even extends beyond enforcing their patents, in that they
threatened with economic war in at least one case where a country wanted to
manufacture their own anti AIDS drugs *without* violating US patents.

National emergency? Doesn't this apply a lot more to some countries with
high numbers of HIV positive people, than to the US with a few Anthrax cases
right now [1]?

Mr. Goldberg makes the argument that this attempt to steal Bayer's property
is part of a larger and more insidious effort to dilute patents in general.

I think he may be on to something.