 Off-Topic / Debate / 14363
Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:31:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Agreed--just as David Koresh was not a true Christian.

How's that?  I'd call Koresh a Christian, just not a mainstream one.  What • does
it take to be a 'true' Christian?

  Er, didn't Koresh think he *was* Christ?  I'd call that
  more than just "not mainstream."

First, I wonder even if true, if it really does.  Don't Christians belive that
Christ will return to bring in the new world?  Doesn't that have to be someone?
Mightn't it be a person born and raised normally (let's say, as a Christian)
who finds one day (or over time) that they are actually Christ reborn?  It's
kind of Last Temptationish, but how much detail is given about Christ's return?
Or am I all wet out of ignorance?

Second, as Larry suggested, no.  The Branch Davidian belief is "that the "lamb"
mentioned in Revelation 5:2 is not Jesus Christ (as essentially all Christians
believe) but is David Koresh himself. The lamb is to open up the seven seals
and trigger the sequence which ends the world as we know it. This belief caused
a great deal of misunderstanding; many Christians believe that Koresh viewed
himself as Jesus Christ, and was thus psychotic."

From http://www.religioustolerance.org/dc_branc.htm which someone posted last
time Koresh came up in debate and I bookmarked.

It seems to me that if we agree that David Eaton's summary of what makes a
Christian is correct, then Koresh firmly fits the Christian mold.  And he fits
it in many more of the little details that we might cite as Christianish, not
just the big defining categories.  So I'm still not seeing why you (anyone)
might call him nonchristian.

Chris