 Off-Topic / Debate / 14358
Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 04:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Agreed--just as David Koresh was not a true Christian.

How's that?  I'd call Koresh a Christian, just not a mainstream one.  What does
it take to be a 'true' Christian?

  Er, didn't Koresh think he *was* Christ?  I'd call that
  more than just "not mainstream."

Do you have a cite for that?

What I have heard from some sources is that he thought he might be in the
middle of a prophecy that was playing out, but not that he thought he was
"Jesus" any more than he thought every single person who accepted the lord
was "Jesus" in the sense that they had the spirit of god within them. That
particular sentiment isn't particularly unchristian... "the spirit moves me"
and all that.

Those sources aren't unbiased, and aren't citable at this hour of the
morning, though unless you went and searched for them... but I don't think
Koresh claimed to be Jesus any more than Valentine Michael Smith claimed
(when he said "I am God, thou art God") that HE was Jesus.

VMS, of course, is a fictional character.