 Off-Topic / Debate / 14325
Re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:43:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Horst Lehner writes:
... or why foreign patents are less important than US patents

To me it seems the US are trying to save some money in this case, whereas
they did just about everything to protect their own profits with anti AIDS
products. This even extends beyond enforcing their patents, in that they
threatened with economic war in at least one case where a country wanted to
manufacture their own anti AIDS drugs *without* violating US patents.

Make that two: Brazil and South Africa. I have followed the brazilian case
through Cable, so I understood some of the $$ involved. Nasty $-diplomacy...
The brazilians have had some success since the introduction of
State-manufactered drugs in AIDS-control.

National emergency? Doesn't this apply a lot more to some countries with
high numbers of HIV positive people, than to the US with a few Anthrax cases
right now [1]?

I dunno. The thing about Anthrax is that it is very easily disseminated, and
it has faster effects. OTOH, Anthrax *isn't* 100% lethal, and it is endemic
in some countries... (take mine, for instance). So they are rather
different, and I think they may require different approaches.

:wq

Horst

[1] To my knowledge, none of these actually requires Bayer's Cipro,
   because other products are working as well for the type of bacteria
   that have been found up to now.

Precaution, maybe?
Anyway, what is Bayer's capability of Cipro production/distribution (# of
people simulteneously treated), and what is the effective # of *suspected*
cases?
I think the US have antecipated a scenario far worse than it is happening...

Pedro