 Off-Topic / Debate / 14349
Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:11:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

When you imply, as you have implied, that certain behaviors make it all
right for individuals to contract fatal diseases, the burden is on you,

I made no such implication whatsoever; I never, never implied that it is "all
right" (i.e. a just punishment) for said people to contract AIDS.  Contraction
is a natural risk and consequence of risky behavior. That's just a fact. But I
never said that it was just punishment, or any other such thing.

  All right, I retract that statement (which was admittedly unfair).  I'm
still not comfortable with "risky behavior," though, because it carries a
vibe of "got what was coming to them," whether you intend it or not.

In addition, when such level-headed
individuals as Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson go on the record to blame the
Sept11 attacks on gays and liberals, one can hardly fault people who argue
that there are larger issues at play than infected mail.

What do those crack-pots have to do with me (as a representative member of the
bible-buying religious segment of our population?)  I don't claim to follow JF
or have him as a spokesman. (I'm not suggesting that you're saying this, but,)
equating the attitude of JF with the attitude of Christians et-al is the same
kind of rhetoric that makes Muslims guilty by association to terrorists.

  Agreed--just as David Koresh was not a true Christian.  However, since
Robertson is a major drum-beater for the radical right and wields (along
with his Coalition) heavy influence among Conservatives, it's not
inappropriate to question his motives in making such a nonsense statement.
I'm not equating your views with his (since in previous science:religion
debates you've demonstrated that you are quite reasonable), but I'm
underscoring once again the problem of priority.

     Dave!