 Off-Topic / Debate / 14360
Re: What does it take to be a true Christian?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 15:58:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:

"I know that some people say the idea of a Law of Nature or decent behavior
known to all men is unsound, because different civilizations and different
ages have had quite different moralities.  But this is not true.  There have
been differences between their moralities, but these have never amounted to
anything like a total difference.  If anyone will take the trouble to
compare the moral teachings of, say, the ancient Egyptians, Babylonians,
HIndus, Chinese, Greek and Romans, what will really strike him will be how
very like they are to each other and to our own...I need only ask the reader
to think what a totally different morality would mean"

I wonder if C.S. Lewis examined the Mayan belief system? The Mesoamerican
system of gods is pretty alien. They are neither good, nor bad, taken as a
whole, just more powerful.

Further, I have to wonder if the ethos of "be willing to sacrifice your
life, on the altar, with the priest plucking your still living heart out to
show the crowd, if it's required of you" is just self sacrifice taken to its
logical degree?