 Off-Topic / Debate / 14350
Re: GODMONEY (was re: Anthrax worse than AIDS?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:33:22 GMT

I think Dave! did a pretty good job of expanding on what I was intimating in
my little Godmoney venting. I do think our priorities are completing
screwed.  I think we should BY FAR be more concerned with security,
emergency response, and how to better investigate terrorist activities
without abandoning significant civil liberties (I have the specific notion
that our policing authorities should just do their jobs way more effectively
than they do, rather than rely upon our higher courts to sanction all their
screw-ups or for our congress to loosen up the rules so that they can commit
further atrocity to our civil liberties).

As per usual with us, we got caught with our pants down on Sept. 11th and we
are throwing money in the wrong direction (war) rather than taking care of
things at home as we should.

The more I hear about this brilliantly conceived and protracted war effort
abroad, the sketchier I get on why we are doing it.  First I heard it was to
get Bin Laden, yesterday I heard that the real goal was the destruction of
the Taliban and if Bin Laden gets hit too that's a good thing but not the
focus of our actions.  Last week I heard that Iraq might be a near future
target too. If I question our moral compass here in the states I think I
have every right to do so.  When exactly will our long struggle with Eurasia
begin?  May Big Brother protect us.

I think we have a war-mongering, christian hooligan in the white house who
got there on the backs of one too many bible-thumpers fed up with the fact
that Bill Clinton has a better sex life than do (Gosh, that's a big beam
sticking out of your eye, Zeke!).  He got there also on the back of
Enron/big oil, and who cares if he was probably a drug addict in his youth?
I am tired of solutions that don't extend further than most people's direct
line of vision.  I am tired of hypocrisy. I am tired of social band-aids for
profound problems that cannot be answered by Jews in Israel, Trumpets before
the walls of Jericho, or bombs over Khabul.  God is not our solution.  If
the Divine Being is even there, s/he expects us to help ourselves out of our
own madness -- that is the path of righteousness and the path of the
spiritual warrior.  That is the real jihad we must fight -- a battle that
takes place primarily within ourselves.

I was certainly not attacking purchasers of the bible, BTW -- I happen to
have several copies of it myself, annotated versions and even the Tanakh.  I
also have Smith's Bible Dictionary, Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, and
several books on biblical archeology like "Who Wrote the Bible?" (a personal
favorite).  What I question is motive.  Why start reading the Good Book now?
If you believe whatever it is you may believe, continue believing it.  There
is NO party line to god's phone.  People making a connection between Sept.
11, the Bible, and the world at large seems a very perilous course of action
to me -- far too likely to seemingly sanction more madness and more war
(which is how we stepped in this s**t to begin with).  Do we have the Arc of
the Covenant at the head of our troops, or is the Anti-Christ? Frankly, who
cares?  The point is not to win points by taking down the pagans, or to win
favor from Allah for taking down the infidels -- that's the rhetoric that
the nutty folks of the Taliban are spewing!  So, don't YOU believe it.

I have the very bad feeling that we are playing right into the hands of
petty tyrants who can attack us at home with impunity while we wage what we
perceive to be a bigger battle abroad.  Mark my words, this war will not be
won with smart-bombs.  Our greatest enemies will be fear and fanaticism on
OUR side.  We are involved in a very sophisticated shell game, keep your eye
on the pea!  Many of the solutions we are being offered accomplish nothing
long-term.  Think like a Prince, act as a lover of freedom and liberty.

If you don't want people to sack your home maybe you should lock your doors.

As it stand we have our collective sword drawn and use the sanction of the
U.N. to make it seem as if we are trying to keep the peace.  Maybe we could
put that sword back in our pants and get down to the real business of
creating a world where horror is less likely and not one of the new gods
alongside Godmoney.

-- Hop-Frog (yes, full rant mode -- but still making more sense than most)