 Off-Topic / Debate / 14434
Re: Is Larry a Creationist? 8^) Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 02:14:18 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Evolution, as we all know, takes place in geologic time;

Macroevolution, yes. Microevolution, no. (which is why switching away from
Ciprox is a good idea, hold it in reserve if we can)

  Ciprox in particular, but antibiotics in general are overused.  But my
understanding is that "macroevolution" is a straw-man term coined, or at
least embraced, by Creationists.  All evolution is microevolution except on
the geologic scale, and even then the distinctions are still fairly arbitrary.

Ack. I mean the surfacing of traits already in the population (and not newly
mutation generated) when I said micro... and the longterm
generation/selection of new traits (and speciation) when I said macro. Sorry
if that was imprecise. I ain't a biologist. (But I have watched LFB play one
on TV)

Just to clarify.  Microevolution is a change in allele frequences of
pre-existing variants within a population, whereas mutation is the
ultimate source of that variation.

Onto Dave's point about the macroevolution being a strawman.  I'm pretty
sure macroevolution was coined by the evolutionary biologists, but has
been largely taken over by the naysayers.  In thinking about  (and
discussing) the nature of evolution, evolutionary biologists still use
the term macroevolution but with subtle differences from the 'pop'
definition.  The neo-darwinian model of evolutionary change has
macroevolution proceeding through the steps of micro.  We use the
macroevolution term as a phrase to give an idea to an event...

[[sorry can't finish this thought right now... just got word that the
local post office has been roped off for two blocks around it...   gotta
go see what's up]]

Totally agree that antibiotics are overused.

And here's a plea. Whenever you are prescribed any... TAKE THE WHOLE COURSE.
Do NOT quit early because you got better. And tell all your friends the same
thing. The future of the human race depends on it. :-)

Extending Larry's plea to outside the local environment of our own
bodies.  Don't fall for all the Anti-bacterial cleaning products that
are on the market in your local supermarket.  If your that worried about
'germs' on your countertop, all you need is a good wash with a mild
bleach solution.

-chris (I am a biologist, but has yet to play one on TV)