 Off-Topic / Debate / 14432
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 01:59:25 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Right. Or at least closer. What I'm getting at is that evolution is a
natural process that produces changes in organisms in response to changes in
environment (including the changes that occur in other organisms) but that
we are now choosing, at least in part, what environmental factors to
completely disregard. I am not saying that humanity will not change at all
any more. I am just saying that barring a collapse in civilisation, our days
of changing involuntarily are more or less over. (that doesn't mean we're at
a dead end... well it sort of does but not in a BAD way)

I'll have to partially disagree.  Humankind has done a lot to *lessen"
selection pressure on ourselves but we, to my knowledge, have not found
a way to eliminate an environmental factor (in the broad sense).

However, humans will continue to change involuntarily through another,
perhaps more important, factor in evolutionary change- Random Genetic
Drift.

-chris