 Off-Topic / Debate / 14484
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 12:17:21 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

To Ross's point, yes, we may well make ourselves go extinct. It cannot be
ruled out. But I consider it highly unlikely already. We are at/close to a
cusp in the probability... As soon as we escape this basket, even if just to
other parts of this system, the chances go way further down. They go down
again, to almost nil, once we start colonising other systems. I don't see
1000 years as an at all unreasonable time estimate for when we will have
several viable colonies in other systems. (the fraction of the total
population outsystem may still be small but that doesn't matter)

Yes, the total population outsystem won't really matter - as long as there are a few
HUNDRED beings concentrated in one place (to handle rearing of crechebabies), and
sufficient genetic stock stockpiled in many different places, we should be able to
continue our existence no matter what hits us, as we could rebuild a planetary-scale
population in a few short generations.

I think at that point about the only thing that could kill us would be a vicious
Humanity War that destroys genetic stockpiles, or a concerted effort of a more
advanced species (not necessarily more intelligent, just farther along the
technology scale) to kill us off.