 General / 33844
Re: I miss the old LUGNET...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:46:07 GMT

I agree with everything said here Eric,

In lugnet.general, Eric Sophie writes:
Nick, and all, I too see this and wish it could be better, of course we all
know that with thousands of members and dozens of threads, indeed it's
difficult to keep up. But at the same time I think we could do better.

We almost need a post outlining good post ediquet. I was disapointed many
times when I made posts. I never wanted to complain because hey, you get
what you get and be happy with it, and frankly I did'nt want to come off as
whineing.

Truth is there are some people who reply to threads and just spout off
opinions, I spend alot of my time perfecting MOC's and I get only a few
cherished replies, then I look around and everybody is jumping into debate
and opinion posts rather than giving to a post where someone actually made
something and is eager to hear from people about his or her efforts.

That really bugs me, I spend $5000 on a Robot and I get 3 replies.
I will always build for myself and always have, I don't need a pat on the
back, but then again it is nice right?

Example:

The Lego company did a story about me and a few others in the Build section.

These are the only cherished replies:

http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=2427

Truth be told, I only saw this recently, a few weeks ago, I meant to pass on
my congrats through e-mail but forgot completely, sorry. :-(

Now you gotta figure that for a Lugnet Member and a Lego nut in general to
make onto the official Lego web-site is like the ultimate acheivement and
yet I felt so un-noticed by my fellow Lugnet'ers. Again, I don't need
anyones approval but it is nice when I get replies.

This post got no replies whatso ever:

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=16280

Is this subject matter over everyones heads or is nobody interested?
Either way for me to respond to my own post asking why nobody replied is bad
form.

I wish people did the following:

1. When a person makes a post about a MOC give some feedback!

Amen!

when I was just getting started with showing off my MOC's etc, I almost
never got replies, see this post:http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=11051

Granted, I was still devoping my style, and now, with the help of Many (Eric
being one of them) I'm starting to produce MOC's that are original, and
interesting, so I'm starting to garner more replies, but when I was stilll
getting started, I would have enjoyed much more feedback than I got, which
was little to none,

2. If the MOC isn't your favorite building style, still respond! give credit
to the way Lego was used in the creation, don't let the theme or style
dictate your responce, fact is it's Lego and that's all that should matter
and not that it's a Mech or a Train or Castle...if the way the parts were
used are a clever technique then jump in and say somthing if you like it!
3. When you make a post about a MOC and someone replies to the post you
oughta reply with a thank you! If you take a look in .Mecha almost all of us
have a double line going straight down the thread: reply to the original
post and a thank you for the reply in return. Think of it like if you were
standing right in front of someone and you said hey! good job and they look
right at you and say nothing.

IMO, mecha is simply THE best group on LUGNET, I think nearly every MOC
posted gets at least one or two replies,

4. When you reply to a MOC take a sentence or two to talk about what and how
the parts are used, a simple "hey that's cool" is nice, but we all know that
the beauty lies within the system and perhaps we should look a little more
at the process and encourage the way in which we build and not so much
merely that we build in general.
5. One thing that always bugs me is that when someone makes a MOC and
another person jumps in to excersise their opinion about some point in the
thread that has nothing to do with the MOC or evan aknowlegding the original
message.

Sorry but as much as I like Larry P. he was guilty of that here:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/terms/?n=332

(sorry Larry but I gotta call you on this)

I got now aknowledgement just an intrusion into my thread without praise to
the original reason the whole post was made in the first place.

Also, I was really upset by this as well:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/mecha/?n=3456

I posted this to .michlug because I like and respect the group and admire
their club, I happen to think there are alot of good builders out there and
that's why I cross posted the story, I don't abuse the crosspost rule and I
felt really shocked that I got dissed like that. That story was so important
to me and it mattered to me a great deal. The real underlying meaning of the
story was lost and that's a shame. Well at least to Amy it was.

Hey Amy why'd you dis me! I was giving your lug group props!

That whole thing really ticked me off,

This whole crossposting rule, IMHO is crap, people should not be considered
attention getters just for sharing their models to many groups, they are
actually contributing, and allowing even more people to see their creations
and be inspired.

7. I don't know this for sure but it seems like certain groups don't post
outside their own forums, it seems like if the post isn't in thier group it
doesn't matter to them. Of course there is the issue of the quantity of
threads and it being difficult to reply to them all, however, I still see
close nit groups with no care for others outside of their own forums.

8. Having a "contest" between groups to see how many posts that group is up
on another is silly, of course group pride runs strong and that's cool, but
again different groups can come off as exclusionary when they don't seem to
pay attention to the groups around it. (ahh this point is kinda
flakey...nevermind)

Well, there is my take on Ediquet and posting. I wish we all could talk more
and I know we all have different priorities.

Just remember the person that works hard loves a little praise.
and reply to the compliments with a thank you.
Keep in mind that just because we don't phyically see each other we all
still deserve a little courtesy.

I try my best to reply to as many messages(MOC's) as I can, but I know that
I'm not as good as I could be,

I think I'll take this opportunity to agknowledge someone who is though,

Gary Blessing! You reply to almost every MOC out there, you take the time to
drop a friendly note as you go, Way to go Gary!

Thanks for the insightful opinions Eric, I'm hoping that this will caus ea
giant chain reaction of replies to MOC"s from this point forward.

In closing I'm releived that you broached this subject, it's difficult to
point out short commings without seeming like we are complaining, truth is
we are just striving to become better.

Sincerly,

Eric

www.mylegomaster.com

Waaa Waaaa check out my new web site and PLMKWYT!!!!!

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=1336

:-)

snip