 Administrative / General / 12730
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:53:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Koudys wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

<snip lotsa goodstuff>

You bring up some good and valid points, especially regarding perception of opacity. It’s a real issue, and it’s something we’re trying to improve on. In this specific example (the LPRV committee and process documentation), I do think there’s been an appropriate amount of disclosure about what’s been happening. For example, when Janey asked about the status of changes promised after a recent episode, Larry replied with information about forming a committee to review documents that were created after the incident. A couple of days later, he announced the committee publicly and described what we were trying to do.

At this point the question becomes “why a small select group instead of everybody on LUGNET”? It was (and still is) the viewpoint of the LUGNET administration that a small, dedicated group of people would be able to identify issues and recommend changes in an effective manner, without providing a document to all of LUGNET that may have inadvertant errors or invalid assumptions. For example, Kevin’s original post in this thread called out some valid concerns that we need to address before the documents are ready for everyone else to see, such as the limits of offsite activity and appeal processes for those who feel they were treated unfairly. There are other points that need to be taken care of as well. If the review process had worked as intended (all points discussed and issues presented to the admin team, preferably with recommendations on alleviating the issues), we would have been able to plug the holes that are at issue, or at least explain more fully the rationale behind any particular portion of the docs. Since a portion of the issues have become public, we’ve now got forty-some posts that wouldn’t have been necessary otherwise.

I understand and agree with the concept that all LUGNET members absolutely must have a voice in what happens to the community. Where we may have a difference of opinion is to what degree. Many people have called for complete openness - all admin contact done in public forums, all review of proposed changes drafted and discussed in public. With all due respect to those opinions, admirable as they may be, that simply is not feasible... there are many reasons why tiered review processes are much more efficient. I would ask that people please not confuse processes like the LPRV committee with a sinister “cloak of secrecy”. Confidentiality is not a bad thing in some instances, just as openness is a good thing whenever possible and appropriate.

   The first step, in my humble opinion, isn’t accuracy, it’s transparency.

But if you have inaccurate or incomplete information (e.g. an imbalanced post such as Kevin’s), then any amount of transparency is moot. Transparency doesn’t equal accuracy.

   ...but when a community feels wronged, justifiably or not, then the community feels wronged.

Exactly. The administration must work on changing that perception.

   As the administration of this little community, it’s not up to you to dictate how the community should or should not feel by pointing out the accuracy of what actually transpired, it’s up to you to be as transparent as possible --thus giving the community all data to base their decision making processes.

You seem to be contradicting yourself... first criticizing for us for providing information about what happened, then criticizing for not providing all the data. If you’re saying that we should have released raw, unreviewed documents for all LUGNET to comment on, I would strongly disagree. If you are saying you’d like to know more of what’s happening WITH those documents, and would prefer to have more frequent updates and expectations set, that’s definitely something that we can take into consideration.

I don’t expect to change any minds, since words are just words and not actions. All I can really do is ask that ill intent not be attributed to an action without specific knowledge of ill intent. For example, it would be easy to take Kevin’s post personally and think he was simply out to cause trouble, but I don’t think that. I prefer to think he is trying to help as best he knows how, and I respect that, if true, even while I strongly disagree with his methods. So the best I can do is correct misperceptions and inaccuracies, and provide information (or “transparency” if you will) to recent events. It’s not complete, because there’s no way to provide a complete, unbiased view into the interpersonal dealings of many people. Any view must necessarily be displayed through a filter. The ultimate goal, I think we would all agree, is to make that filter as wide and clear as possible.

Kelly McKiernan
LUGNET Administrator