 Administrative / General / 12905
12904  |  12906
Subject:
light touches (was Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:42:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Walsh wrote:

"Tony Alexander" <tw0nst3r@earthlink.net> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

"Although you've pointed to another auction post example in .technic, you should
know that such posts normally don't belong there.  Thanks for clarifying that
this belongs in .market.auction; next time, please be sure to post it only there
so it stays relevant to the community.  Thanks!"

[ ... snipped ... ]

Shouldn't Admin posting such as the one above be posted by "LUGNET Admin" as
opposed to an  individual?  It would be pretty clear it was the opinion of
LUGNET Administration and not the person chartered with posting the message.
Since LUGNET Admin is a group of people it would also prevent the post being
associated with any one indivual.

Yes. If posting an official warning is the right level of touch, that is.

I said that after Tony had a chance to answer, I'd say what the admins did, and
my guess at why.

I'm still hoping Chris will answer why  he thinks nothing should be done, that
is, whether he thinks it's a ToU violation or not... but since I don't want to
drag it out ... what we did was: nothing. No private warning, no public warning

Why? My guess: because we were preoccupied and because we're a little gunshy
lately. NOT because we don't think there was a ToU violation there.

Anders (in my view, rightly) points out here
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12813 that not saying anything means
that the next poster who wants to flout the ToU in this area (despite Todd's
strong feelings about it) has that much more reason to say "but you let the last
guy slide, why pick on me?"

There's no easy answer there, is what I am saying, despite whatever wording you
might use. Arguably there's no right answer at all!

Do nothing has drawbacks, private warning has drawbacks, and, regrettably, so
does an official public warning by an admin (we're hearing the community say
that they don't want admins giving unofficial posted warnings, which sort of
bums me out, actually although I get the logic).

The only current alternative would be if someone else spoke up and pointed it
out. That would be nice but it doesn't happen much either (again maybe people
are gunshy)...

We think we have another alternative, though, coming soon. I hope it works out
as well as we hope it will.