 Administrative / General / 12906
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:02:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I'm not going to reply in detail (although there is stuff I agree with and
stuff I disagree with...) Instead, I'm going to ask you how *you* would
handle a particular post, as an exercise.

http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=10625

I like Tony's reply the best so far. Here's roughly the rules I think I'd go by
(it's possible other circumstances might alter this slightly, like if it's been
excessively long between offenses-- like-- years, or if the user consciously
defies being told otherwise):

1) First time offender
    A) Someone (officially or not) has already let him know publically that
       wasn't the right place to post
       Action: Don't do anything.
    B) Nobody has said anything publically
       Action: post a public reply in a non-official sense. Something like:
         "Hey, X-- just to let you know, auction and sale posts don't
         usually belong in .technic, they just belong in the .market area of
         Lugnet. Thanks!"
2) Second or third time offender
    A) Has been notified before
       Action: post a public reply from an official account.
       "The proper place for any auction post is in lugnet.market.auction.
       Posts to the .technic group should not generally be sale, trade, or
       auction related, to avoid excessive advertising flooding the group.
       Please try and keep sale or auction posts in the correct venues in the
       future! Thanks, LUGNET Admins"
    B) Has not been notified before
       See 1B
3) 4+ time offender
    A) Has been notified before (at least twice, at least once from admin)
       Action: post a public reply from an official account.
       "You have repeatedly posted market-related posts inappropriately, and
       have also been asked repeatedly not to do so. Further inappropriate
       postings may result in your posting privilages to be revoked. Please
       keep market-related posts in the lugnet.market heirarchy. Love, the
       Admins."
    B) Has been notified before (at least twice from official admin account)
       Action: 48 hour timeout. Send a private email from an official account:
       "Your Lugnet posting privilages have been temporarily suspended. You
       have been warned on Y occasions (list links) that posting market-related
       posts to non-market areas would result in the loss of your posting
       privilages. In order to have them reinstated, please reply to this
       message or send an email to XXXXX@lugnet.com acknowledging that you have
       received a temporary ban. Your privilages will be re-established 48
       hours after our receipt of your reply. Hugs and Kisses, the LTT"

       Post public reply and/or new thread officially:
       "User X has had their posting abilities suspended for 48 hours for
       repeatedly posting market-related posts to non-market areas. User has
       been warned on Y occasions (provide links). Posting rights will be
       reinstated 48 hours after the user acknowledges this timeout."
    C) Has been notified before, but never by an admin
       See 2A.
    D) Has never been notified before
       See 1A. Then figure out how in the heck they've had 3+ prior offenses
       and never been warned.

DaveE