 Administrative / General / 12813
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:35:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
[snip]
I'm going to ask you how *you* would handle a particular post, as an
exercise.

http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=10625

Here's a post that flogs.
[snip]
I'll tell you what the admins did (and why I think they did what they
did), after you answer.

The question was not directed at me, but I can give *my* perception of the
situation.

"No-one bothered to comment in public on the offense"

This means that other people, reading just the groups, not having insight
into private e-mails, other discussion lists etc., can only see an offence
with no action taken, and in the future may say "But he could do it, why
pick on me?"

If there was any action taken by the admins, I'd prefer that the public
groups would see it too. If there was no action taken by the admins, we
might wonder why.

It could be that the admins hoped an ordinary user would point the offender
to the TOS, but this didn't happen.

I think we have this problem now, that 'self-censoring' doesn't work. We
(non-members and members alike) are more or less assuming that the admins
will interfere with *any* problem, so we have more or less stopped pointing
the finger ourselves.

As long as everybody plays the 'police', there isn't any 'we' and 'them'. As
soon as you have a 'police force' you will get rebellion...

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm