 Administrative / General / 12812
12811  |  12813
Subject:
The light touch (was Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:31:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Magno wrote:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

If you read the ToU, you can tell that Todd felt very very strongly about
"auction spam", that posts that are purely flogging of an auction in a non
market (and non local) group are not a good thing at all. I'd argue that this
particular post is a pretty clear cut violation of the ToU as written, wouldn't
you agree? (see discussion group point 11)

Yes Larry it is EASY!

I KNOW what ~I~ would do.

walk away!

ignore it.

IF this is what you did, then good for you.  if not...... (shrug)  more
of the same-ol' same-ol' i guess.

The ToU and its enfocement should be more about the "spirit" then the
hard and fast rule set.

OK, to clarify, in your opinion, are you saying this particular clause of the
ToU should not be enforced at all? Or just not in this particular case with
respect to this particular post?

If not at all, why not? It's really a hot button with the owner, isn't it, that
auction spam not be placed in non market groups that don't welcome it? Remember,
the users in the past have also asked for this... maybe things changed?

If in general yes, but not in this case, what makes this case different? How do
we tell that it is different? What would distinguish a case where we SHOULD act?

(I was asking just Tony and I still want to hear his thoughts, because he's put
together a pretty detailed and cogent advocacy for change, but I'm glad you
spoke up too. Good luck with your build and I hope you get a chance to respond
later.)