 Administrative / General / 12890
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:32:21 GMT

Quick note: I'm at work on lunch break, and can't give this the thought I want
to word it as well as it should be...

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I'm going to ask you how *you* would handle a
particular post, as an exercise.

http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=10625

Here's a post that flogs. There is nothing in that post about creations, just a
link to an auction. The author tries to justify it by citing someone else's post
(which also was a link to an auction, and which got a warning, which wasn't
received well at all), sort of a "He did it so I can too".

If you read the ToU, you can tell that Todd felt very very strongly about
"auction spam", that posts that are purely flogging of an auction in a non
market (and non local) group are not a good thing at all. I'd argue that this
particular post is a pretty clear cut violation of the ToU as written, wouldn't
you agree? (see discussion group point 11)

     Nobody's perfect, and everybody makes mistakes.  I'm not sure if it
constitues a TOU violation, as I'm not as well-versed in the specifics of the
TOU as you are.
     Knowing nothing more about this poster's history, I'd say that a reminder
along these lines would be in order:

"Although you've pointed to another auction post example in .technic, you should
know that such posts normally don't belong there.  Thanks for clarifying that
this belongs in .market.auction; next time, please be sure to post it only there
so it stays relevant to the community.  Thanks!"

     I'd post this online in response to his post.

My contention is that it is easy to say (heck, I've said it) use a light touch,
but hard to apply.

     It's easier when one isn't always being the "rules cop" (not that you
specifically are, but the admin team lately **seems** to be), because one has a
chance to step back and take a breath befoer replying.  In the heat of the
moment mistakes can be made.

     I may have a chance later tonight to get on and share more thoughts.  Right
now, I'd say that a light touch could be applied.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander