 Administrative / General / 12751
Re: Legends of Todd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:24:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   the Admins’ basic idea of how the P&P process would work is essentially what you described here. We write it, work on it. Share it with a few people and get their input, get the document into a finished form and then share it with the public. This process was interupted before it was finished.

I posted this already but this is not the impression that I got from the announcement post or various other conversions with those involved. The impression I got was that the committee was going to generate the P&P and then it would be implemented without a general public discussion period. I think this course of action would be a horrible mistake and only lead to further division here on Lugnet.

Isn’t it possible for people to discuss something even if it is currently being implemented?

Not if the policy being implemented has the effect of inhibiting discussion or making that discussion irrelevant.

I’m sorry Marc, but the idea of Admins inhibiting discussion on Lugnet is laughable. When have we ever done that or attempted to do that? Admins cannot force edits or cancels - but can only do so when requested by a member.

And if the discussion is not inhibited - how can a policy make discussion irrelevant? Wouldn’t the irrelevancy occur only if the Admins ignored the discussion? In other words, it wouldn’t be implemented through a new policy. Or maybe I’m missing something here.

Keep in mind that any decision made can be unmade or changed - so, in a way, you might think of it that discussion of any policy, past or present, could be relevant if it raises a point that the Admins hadn’t considered.

I guess I’m not really understanding the idea of irrelevancy here. Do you mean it in that Admins won’t listen - or that they might dismiss the discussion? If it dismissing the discussing... don’t Admins have the right to say that the discussion is missing something, and therefore doesn’t warrant action? Or do you want the members to be able to force the Admins to change policy decision?

-Lenny