 Administrative / General / 12752
Re: Legends of Todd
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:40:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
Isn't it possible for people to discuss something even if it is currently being
implemented?

In my opinion, no, especially if the implementation directly affect those whould
would discuss it.

For example:
The club you belong to forms a committee to review the dress code. It just so
happens (by coincidenece) that everyone on the committe hates baseball caps so
they make wearing them a bannable offense.  You like to wear baseball caps; in
fact, you have a whole collection at home.  Now you are face with either abiding
by the unfair baseball cap ban while arguing with the committee, wearing
baseball caps in protest and being kicked out or, leaving the club voluntarily.
The outcome of any of these decisions is negative.

To me, "abiding by the unfair ban while arguing with the committee" is a
worthwhile thing to do.  Since, this might happen even if the policy is
submitted to the membership.

TO use your example - what if you are gone on the day the ban is submitted, and
the ban passes.  You had a chance to argue before implementation, but you were
on vacation and now are faced with the same sort of alternative you describe
above.

Or is it the point that something should be submitted to the community before
implementation just for the sake of it?  In which case, does the Administration
need the community's approval after submitting it, before implementing it?

The flip side of my above example is this:
The committee forms the draft rules since it's easier to start with a small
group.  They then submit it to the general membership for review before it is
implemented.  You speak up and say that you like baseball caps and a significant
number of other members support you.  The committee realizes thier short
sightedness and changes the draft.  Once the public review process is over and
all suggestions and discussions are considered, the committee implements the new
dress code.  Not everyone is completely satisifed with the new policy but most
everyone are comfortable with it.

But what if no compromise is made?  What if there is no significant number of
other members who agree with you?  Or maybe we can change the metaphor from
something arbitrary like caps, to shirts with nudity or explicit phrases on
them.

Lots of people like wearing these curseword shirts.  However, the club needs to
make a good impression on the surrounding community, and the curseword shirts
really hurt the club's image.  So the committee over-rides even popular opinion
for what it believes is the better good.  What then?

Note that the committee still has the deciding power but now public input is
used to mold the policy into something most can agree on.

But what if the committee, who has deciding power, decides to dismiss the public
input and maintain their earlier decision?

This method has
worked to great success with the LDraw.org policies so I don't know why it can't
be applied here.

What works for Classic-Castle won't work for Lugnet.  What works for CSF won't
work for Lugnet.  On Kelly's other site, BZPower, people are sometimes
permanently banned for any infraction of the rules.  It works for BZPower and
its 20,000 young members.  It doesn't work for Lugnet.

-Lenny