 Administrative / General / 12648
Re: Spotlight Filter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 18:06:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Findley wrote:
I posted a possible solution to some of the Spotlight issues here:

<http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12623>

In summary, I think it would be possible to give indivuals control over the
weightings used to determine spotlights.  This way, the person who wants
MOC's spotlighted more (or less) can have some control over this.

I think the *best* thing to do would be to have users put their own rankings in.
"Posts to .pirates get +2, posts to .fabuland get -1, posts by my buddy get +1,
etc". But that means re-ranking things constantly, since there's no time limit
IIRC. So a post from 3 months ago could theoretically be considered if it were
ridiculously spotlighted, or even if all *other* groups were downvoted. But
that's a pretty big hit.

The better solution performance-wise would probably be pretty much what you
had-- with the stipulation that the spotlight becomes "up to 10" rather than
"always 10". Hence, you calculate the spotlight as normal, keeping tabs on the
top, say, 50. Then, cycle down the list of 50 applying user preferences, and
re-ordering.

In fact (uh oh) if you're worried about the server hit, you COULD put that into
Javascript and have the browser do the re-jiggering FOR you. Hence, you actually
send the full list of 50 (along with title, author, groups, # of user
spotlights/highlights, date posted), and a fixed javascript function to weigh &
display based on the user's cookie.

Again, though, it doesn't guarantee that they'll get 10 stories if they've got a
vicious skip-filter, or if the top 50 (or whatever) are mostly from a raging
debate.

I know in the past Todd has been against Javascript, since it's not always
universal, but it certainly *is* more accepted nowadays. Plus, if you wrote it
right, I *think* you can get it so that it displays the spotlight WITHOUT the
settings if Javascript is disabled.

DaveE