 Administrative / General / 12666
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:47:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton wrote:
The subject of Kevin's message is in regards to Chris Magno's timeout
specifically (along with some other heated debates at the time), and the LPRV
committee that was established not long ago who were asked to assist Lugnet in
smoothing out the documents concerning Lugnet's policies (with some particular
attention to timeouts).

I remember that, since I was time-out with Chris...

More specifically, the administration by its own admission didn't handle Chris's
situation in the best way. I think that's pretty generally agreed. Some people
are still pretty miffed on both sides, I think.

Therefore, the LTT (Lugnet Transition Team) decided to come up with more
specific rules about how to handle these types of situations (and indeed all its
activities), so that it could avoid similar problems in the future. Effectively,
lay down the law as clearly as possible and it helps prevent incidents.

After coming up with an initial run of the document, the LTT asked a select
group (the LPRV) to join in discussing it, among whom were several people that
were close to the preceeding situation.

Tempers were still high within the committee of 7, and we've had 2 people
voluntarily step down from their positions so far. Questions arose about the
group's purpose, whether or not the administration was taking our input
seriously, and whether or not we were actually making progress on the document
to begin with.

Although there's nothing official to say about the committee at this point and
what its status is-- that remains to be seen-- but it's taken rather a different
path than I think we had all hoped. I really do think that everyone involved
wants what's best for Lugnet. But some people working together doesn't seem very
fruitful, at least not in the way things were going. I just hope we manage to
get things going in the right direction soon.

DaveE

Thank you very much for your explanation.  I wish Kevin would have explained it
that clearly, although I salute his imagination and his style.

Now, here's my opinion about all this.  Warning : this is MY OPINION, nothing
more, nothing less.

I am a regular here on Lugnet.  I'm not one of the 10 most known members, but I
think all the regulars heard about me.  I say this because I want you guys to
undertstand that if I was completely unaware of the process taking place,
moreso, if I couldn't understand the situation without an explanation, this
means that all these process are not visible enough for the common member.  I
read the posts in the highlights every other day or so and I'm normally aware of
the issues going on.  That one wasn't on the radar for me.

It seems more of a personnal issue between some members than a lugnet-wide
concern to me.  I understand the importance of the process, but right now, the
admins have lost a lot of credibility to the eyes of many and they will not gain
it back with these kind of things going on.

I consider more and more that Todd shouldn't give so much powers to the admins.
Now, as I understand it, the admins have the power to name people on commitees
regular joes like me aren't even aware of.  This leads to intestinal wars that
are both extremely un-productive and harmful to the general ambiance of Lugnet.
Again, with the little information I have on everything that's going on, my
opinion isn't worth much more than what you make of it, but I feel like the
admins should all lose their powers and we should establish, before we give any
powers to anyone, who should hold what powers and then apply these decisions.
Lugnet should, IMHO, be either controlled by everyone (by means of member
voting) or to Todd alone.  The little oligarchy that's been running the show
over the last year or so isn't working for me.

The is not to say that the admins aren't good individuals for the job.  The
problem is, can they work together and can they work for the better good of
everyone?  I'm sure they want exactly that and by no means do I want to give the
impression that I dislike them.  But I like Lugnet and I can't say I like to see
continual wars going on.

I must say I will not post anymore on that issue unless I'm asked to (which
would be a surprise).  I'm still in the process of earning lugnet-members'
respect and as much as I feel concerned by the issue, I don't want to throw oil
on the burning fire.  I'll participate if I'm asked though.

Again, I must emphasize on the fact that this was MY opinion.  It can change and
it can be wrong.  Make what you want of it.

Terry