 Administrative / General / 12819
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:20:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

No offense taken, Lenny.  My day job for the last seven years has been
"administering" an e-commerce web site that encompasses several hundred
different organizations and handles anywhere from 5 to 7 billion US
dollars in transactions each year.  I think it's comparable : )  My
paygrade and job title don't reflect it, but I've taken personal
ownership of it and I make it a point to be involved in every aspect of
it.  I've designed much of the architecture, spec'd out hardware,
written the majority of the custom software, and worked on the user
interfaces.  I also spend a fair amount of my time cooperating with the
various other teams that are responsible for the sub-systems.  For much
of that time I was the "my way or the hiway" guy.  It worked, but not
well : (  After watching my former boss nearly kill himself from the
stress and getting a wake-up call of my own from my doctor about high
blood pressure, I've come to the realization that a "light touch" is
less agrivation for me and works much better for everyone else.  We've
gotten far more done in the past year than we had in the previous 5!

My experience is quite the opposite of what you suggest.

As for the secrecy.  Unless Todd fesses up, we'll never know if he kept
any secrets from the lugnet membership, but that in itself is a goal.
His admin process seemed very transparent.  The current adminstration is
cleary not even attempting to put up appearences.  We've been told about
things we can't see! That's just throwing it in people's faces, isn't it?

Some one else mentioned that many of the members actually did invest
money in lugent, both in membership fees and donations toward the server
hardware.  That and we all invest our invaluable time here.  It seems
that those people are constantly being told that lugnet isn't a
democracy and they have no say in how things will be run.  That's
clearly unfair and unacceptable.  Can you honestly expect people to
donate in the future if they're being told their oppinions are irrelavent ?!

I'd like for lugnet to be a place that my two year old can enjoy
someday.  If it keeps alienating the very people who make it a
community, it may not be around that long.  That would be a sad thing to
witness first hand wouldn't it ?

-JSM

Leonard Hoffman wrote:
Much snippage

No personal offense intended - have you ever run a large community forum, or
managed people?  There is a big difference in how people think things should be
run when they have actually had to run things.

And Todd had lots of secrets.  We don't know about them because they were inside
his head.  When you have a group of people the idea of what is 'secret' changes.
It becomes a group agreement to not discuss things beyond the group - and
whether you like that idea or not, privacy and secrecy will always be important
to the administration of anything (from the USA gov't to Community Forums).