 Administrative / General / 12748
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:08:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
You mentioned the efficiency of a tiered review process as a reason for
not making everything about lugnet administration public.  I don't buy
that.

No personal offense intended - have you ever run a large community forum, or
managed people?  There is a big difference in how people think things should be
run when they have actually had to run things.

I submit that efficency is irrelavent to the problem at hand and I
beleive that recent events clearly demonstrate that the efficiency of
the current way of doing things (Tiered review?) is pitiful at best : (

I think that the LPRV Committee could have been wonderfully productive.  My
personal hopes for it was that it would be the beginning of incorporating
non-Admin opinions into the decisions that are made.  That is, the opening up
the Administration.

The failure of the LPRV, IMHO, wasn't the process it was using.

  David E. brought up that fact that lugnet worked very well under
Todd's light touch in the past.  There were no tiers, no committees, no
heavy-handedness, and no secrets.  I wish we could return to that, but
the next best thing is probably "peer review." or transparency.

The past is always so much better than the way things are now.  A lot of people
have been calling for Lugnet to modernize and update how things are run.  I
think that Lugnet cannot be run by a single person with a totally hands-off way
of doing things.  If for no other reason, it creates a single point of failure.

And Todd had lots of secrets.  We don't know about them because they were inside
his head.  When you have a group of people the idea of what is 'secret' changes.
It becomes a group agreement to not discuss things beyond the group - and
whether you like that idea or not, privacy and secrecy will always be important
to the administration of anything (from the USA gov't to Community Forums).

-Lenny