 Administrative / General / 12714
Re: I resign from the LPRV committee
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:13:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Hi Lenny,

You're a great guy.  When I met you for the first time 2 years ago you seemed to
be an intelligent person with well thought out ideas.  However, is this the best
response you can come up with?

No.  I was very upset by Kevin's post - specifically how he characterized me
(aka Jacko-dmin), and the other admins.  I went through five different drafts.
I don't think this was the best responce possible, but I wanted to do something
- rather than keep writing drafts until I got something perfect.

Kevin made some very relevant and poignant
observations of this process, which I might add is closed to the public eye, and
the best reply is a personal attack?  Isn't this exactly what we are trying to
prevent?

He made >some< relevant observations.  He also made some ghastly incorrect
observations, and some observations that specifically try to change the truth.
It is this sort of thing that is difficult for Admins to deal with - a few good
points mixed with a bunch of bad ones.

I don't think I was attacking Kevin personally.  I think the most attacking
thing I said was saying that he's trying to be a martyr.  Honestly, when I read
the post, that was the feeling I got.

My intent wasn't to attack Kevin anymore than he was attacking me or the other
Admins.  The LPRV Committee is not, nor was it ever, a rubber stamp committee.
Neither I, nor Larry, oppressed anyone for personal reasons.  Kevin stepped down
from the LPRV for his own reasons, not because anyone tried to chase him away or
any other such nonsense.

I think if more than one person has resigned from this commitee then the process
may already be broken.  The amount of spotlights that Kevin's post has generated
should tell you something about the frustrations of the general membership
regarding the fact that this process is not transparent nor will the new rules
have an open public discussion period before being instituted.

Not every process should be transparent - or else the Admins would do all of
their discussion in .admin.general and not on a private LT list.  We do it that
way because we have high expectations for Admins - and also, we feel that
private discussion is better discussion than 100% public discussion.

If the committee were transparent.. then what is the purpose of the committee?
Why not just release the documents to all of Lugnet and the world and ask for
input?  I'd think it would weaken those documents.

Orion, a question, would you be interested in a story of the same events that
Kevin describes, but from my point of view?  Would that have been a better
responce?

-Lenny