 Administrative / General / 12731
Re: P&P document
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:08:43 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
   Whoa! NDA’s !? You’re kidding right !?

Unfortunately, it’s an option, albeit one that I don’t think anyone likes. There have been many posts recently about lack of trust in the administration of LUGNET, with some justification. But it works both ways. Admins need to be able to trust people also. When that trust is breached, a solution must be found. I am as unhappy as anyone at the prospect of requiring an NDA for some things. There are two alternatives: one, not expect anybody to keep anything to themselves, which is not fair and shows a lack of trust that just reinforces the vicious cycle. Two, we don’t share anything at all, which again reinforces the idea of too much secrecy. Neither of those is acceptable to me.

Please see this post for more explanation of why it’s not feasible to provide complete and utter transparency.

   This can only breed more suspicion and distrust. People are already annoyed that everything seems to be being done behind closed doors. Why feed the fire ? Do we really need secrets from each other ?

I fully agree that there needs to be a lot more openness about how LUGNET is run. I disagree that it all needs to be done in full public view. There are effective methods of implementation, and sometimes they involve a tiered review process (like the LPRV committee). That doesn’t mean there are secrets.

   Kelly J. McKiernan wrote:
   I’d thought that it was understood this review process was a confidential exercise; it’s apparent we need to be more explicit about confidentiality in the future, possibly up to and including NDAs. I find it unfortunate that we would need to go to that extreme, especially given the goal of greater transparency from the admin staff.

Sincerely,
Kelly McKiernan
LUGNET Administrator