 Off-Topic / Debate / *5331 (-100)
  Re: Elian Gonzales

(...) The legal rulings do get confusing, don't they? My understanding is that the ruling to hand over the child was valid and no temporary restraining order was in effect (or perhaps in effect by a sufficiently high enough court). (...) Now Larry, (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Elian Gonzales

(...) All murderous issues aside, isn't her "quivering lip" due to her Parkinson's as opposed to some affected emotionalism? (...) This seems to presume that parents in a communist state must either be decietful or under duress to wish to remain in (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Elian Gonzales

(...) There appear to be conflicting court orders in effect, as there is also a ruling in effect that Elian can apply for asylum in his own right and that the guardianship is valid. Or that's my understanding. (...) Andre Marrou. John Bergland. Ron (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Elian Gonzales

(...) The "family" was forcibly detaining Elian against court orders from being reunited with his father. Why they aren't in jail is beyond me. (...) Find me a (living) politician who is! :-) (...) Nope. They were just continually stalling. But (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Elian Gonzales

(...) Why I can't say I really support the way Elian was removed from his great-uncles house and reunited with his father, I don't think there were many other options considering the number of protestors that were usually around the house. However, (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Elian Gonzales

Good morning, Scott Costello schreef: (...) So, someone sinned and now you want it to so either ? (...) Like you stated but Im not surprised at all, you Americans can make an fuss out of everything and always do things to surprise us Europeans. So (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Elian Gonzales

(...) I totally agree Scott - when I saw the pic of this on the front page of the paper yesterday I was horrified. What are these people thinking of? That poor kid is likely to be scarred for life. "Best interests of the child" indeed! Kevin (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Elian Gonzales

Alright I know that this may not be the proper forum for this discussion, but I wanted to vent my concerns to someone, and after the extensive anti-Mormon thread I figured what the heck. (I will endure any flame because of it). I must say that I am (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Following up oneself (Was: Re: Is LEGO safe in Fish Tanks? (Safe for the fish))

(...) Why was this followed up to debate? I don't see anything controversial! :-) Seems like good elaboration for the FAQ. ++Lar (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) a (...) If you haven't already, read "What Color is Your Parachute". A great book of practical advice on job-hunting. Bruce (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Following up oneself (Was: Re: Is LEGO safe in Fish Tanks? (Safe for the fish))

(...) [ie, "sorry to follow myself up] (...) There is on Usenet. I'm not sure exactly where it comes from, but it is bad nettiquette. I *think* it's to prevent one person from keeping a thread alive when no one else cares. At any rate, I have seen (...) (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.faq, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) Some of the best teachers i had in highschool taught this way. If you didn't understand something they would try hard to find out why you were having trouble and did whatever they could to help. And did this without holding up the rest. (...) (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) Aye, there's a teacher at our school (he teaches history) who brought in about 20 blue tubs of Legos. He divided us into groups, and we each built an Early English Castle model. THIS is the kind of stuff I learn from! -Chris (25 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

<snip> I'd venture to say that the attitude he displays helps drag down the (...) Touche. I'm not trying to drag down standards, nor criticize you. I'm not saying you criticized me; we each have our own opinion, and are entitled to it. My GPA is (...) (25 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) Add not-so-industrialized nations to these..:-) At least for high schools. One of my friends from high school went to US via an international student exchange program for a period of one year in a US high school. I remembered that he was not (...) (25 years ago, 10-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) However, if you ever happen to find yourself travelling in Britain, rent yourself a car with a manual transmission. The stick shift will be on the left side. :D I've never had a problem with using a mouse with my right hand, though. In fact, I (...) (25 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Tell your critics to check out the story of Ehud the Left-Handed (Judges 3:12- 30). God makes use of all kinds of people. Incidentally, the Hebrew language reads from right to left, so unless all the Israelites wrote backwards, they would have (...) (25 years ago, 21-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I've heard that as well. It was related to cultures with strong feelings/tradition around 'clean' and 'defiled', I seem to remember. (...) "I admit it--your are a better swordsman than I." "Then why are you smiling?" "Because I know something (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Mo, it's a compliment. Or a complement. You decide. FUT .o-t.fun ++Lar (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) This is playing dangerously close to equivocation: using one mindset’s definition of success to refute the success of another mindset that uses a different definition. If you define success as happiness or job satisfaction (and that’s a valid (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) :-) (...) Hey! Is that another ethnic slur? 8^) Dave! (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) In my experience, the teachers who fail to convey the usefulness of basic concepts just don't have a good understanding of how they are actually used. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that not many people are willing to give up an (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) That is one of my major *major* beefs from the normal schooling system. They teach you things which definitely might turn out to be useful; but do you hear the teachers ever mentioning that? Not in my current school. One of my favorite and (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) What about when the teacher brings in lots of Star Wars LEGO sets and lets the students play with them?(1) Alan (1)I've seen it happen! (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) LOL!! ROFL! I'm not touching that one with a 10ft ...pole... Kevin (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I think I thought you were thinking thoughts that made you think unthinkable thoughts...I think. Bill :D (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Me too, I play baseball right handed, but I play hockey left handed. Similarly, I fire a handgun with my right hand and a rifle with my left hand. I think that's because my left eye is dominant. It'd be kinda hard to fire a rifle right handed (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) the (...) Why, that, of course(1). Why, what did you think I thought you meant? :-) 1 - or leather. We had the leather guy over when we lived in Parkland. ++Lar (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Thank you very much, I'm sincerely honored that you would say such a thing. (...) :-) (...) It means that I do woodworking, joinery and refinishing in the homes of people who recently purchased furniture from all the major retailers in Miami. (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I would have to say, speaking entirely theoretically, of course, that if there is a god and he IS a christian god, implying that there is a christian heaven, you'd certainly qualify. :-) So don't worry about bad PR from the PR contingent. (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I have a friend who went to a Catholic school. They tied his left hand behind his back for years because they said it was satanic. I believe they get this from the Biblical references to Jesus sitting on the right hand of God; metaphorically, (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) Of course you did, and I bet you and everyone else at that school learned things they were really interested in. I think one problem with American schools is that they think that there's a strict curriculum which everybody needs to learn in (...) (25 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) As a Hungarian of gypsy ancestory, I didn't know that's where that term comes from, how cool - my very own racial slur! I must remember to be offended each time it's used by others, while using it myself among other Hungarians. Also, I must (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Now you're just confusing me. By "clockwise" I've been (consistently, I hope!) referring to those stairs that have the central pillar on the right, since the steps spiral clockwise upwards. I think... Dave! (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) I don't even know where to trim Chris' words, so I'll just quote the whole dang thing. I'd venture to say that the attitude he displays helps drag down the standards of American education. It's one thing to be upset with the quality of your (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) :) How do you define clockwise? Does that mean going up, the pillar will be on your right, and the outer wall on your left? If so, I can definately remember some of them - its the ones where the central pillar is on the left as you walk up (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

I've just GOTTA stick my two cents into this one. I've been going to the same school district for 13 years; (I'm a senior, YAY!) good ol' Albia Community School District in Albia, IA. And they are the most bass-ackward bunch I've ever seen. They try (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Maybe you were dyslexic on those apparently clockwise staircases. 8^) Or the defenders fought their way UP the clockwise staircases and DOWN the counterclockwise. Or maybe the lefthanded defenders fought on the clockwise steps... Hmm... Now (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Are you sure? I've been to many castles - living in Britain you can't really avoid it... and I am certain that I've seen both types of spirals around and about :) Richard (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Idle Ramblings

(...) Uh, yeah, I noticed. I have a lot to rant about the US school system, and for that matter the Israeli one too. I do think the Israeli one (in which I spent most of my years) is slightly better, but not by much. The school I went to for the (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Undeniably, but the ascending lefty's disadvantage wouldn't be as great an ascending rightie would have fighting up those same steps. (...) I’m scandalized! No lefty would ever attempt such an un-chivalrous ploy! Dave! (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I think you hit it right on the head--unless I'm mistaken, that's one of the reasons such staircases were built that way. Dave! (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) You know, I never though much about this, but I pitch right and bat left - I'm sure that confused people in grade school ;-) Strangely enough, a LOT more than 10% of the people I know are left-handed. Something about my interests in general (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

Ah, but the defenders coming DOWN would be better off being right-handed - so I guess you'd start hating southpaws if you were defending ;-) (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) BINGO - my teachers tried to force me to write right-handed. They luckily gave up after a while, because my handwriting is bad enough left-handed, right-handed I might as well be scrawling Sanscrit. (...) Well, that's because <groaner> "we (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I always thought it was because the left hand was the primordial "wiping hand"--most people preferring the right meant that one had to keep it clean. This may of course be apocryphal. I'm a lefty in writing only--I favour my right for (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Manual pencil sharpeners, table settings, fast food fry scoops, older-style doorknobs, pens and pencils with writing on them, the vast majority of scissors, can openers (a la Simpsons), most water fountains, desks, paper cutters, most versions (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Only if the rest of the wall is made up of those goofy right-handers I keep hearing about! On the other hand (!) to use another period example, a lefty fighting his way up a spiral staircase would be at an advantage, since such stairways (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Sinister one might even say (for a very good example of the thinking of "left" as bad). And of course right handed is good (dexter). One supposed explanation of why left handed is bad is if you think about troops in a shield wall, and how (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Indeed. I was startled to find out that my SO (age 43) was forced to use his right hand to write with instead of his left in elementary school by having his hands beaten with a ruler if he used the wrong one! The effects still show in his (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl mentioned: (...) Side rant, triggered by Tom's casual example, but not having much relevance to the current thread (hey, this is .o-t): As I understand, there used to be prejudice against left-handed people. (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) No, the proper justification for the *right* people have to go around saying things that they know are going to offend people (at least in America), is that we have a constitutional right to do so (with certain limitations, see my other post). (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Maybe how Voltaire said it, which is as far from political correctness as I think you can get. "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it." To me, this allows that racism and bigotry (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) seeing (...) Point taken, that isn't the greatest construct, is it? Can you offer a rewrite that conveys the desired meaning (there may be things that you find offensive out there, and if you encounter them, you might indeed be offended by (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) He-hee! I think I misread this the first time you mentioned it, and I was really confused. I thought: "Gee, I'm 'not offended' many times a day--I'd hate for someone to take that away from me!" **grammar geek warning*** I suppose I was failing (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Hmm.. you raise an interesting dilemma. I've never considered myself PC. Far from it, in fact. Yet I dislike use of certain words. How to reconcile it? The PC crowd wants to prevent use of them dejure, or so it seems to me. I merely ask that (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

It may be small beer, but after more than a decade of PC crap, you can still drown in it. I thought we had mostly gotten past the PC Cop stage in the world in general. One place I did not expect to see it, nor WANT to see it, was on Lugnet. Lugnet (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

"Hell in a handbasket" - sorry, there is no way in HECK I am going to censor that phrase, as it is a widely known phrase that really loses most of its' meaning as "heck (or Heavenly Challenged for you PC Dorks) in a handbasket". I'm sorry, but there (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) Even (...) there. (...) are (...) a (...) practical (...) On (...) up (...) of (...) or (...) as (...) American (...) somewhat (...) the (...) I agree with the above. For 99.9999% of parents out there, (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Agreed. I should have said responsible instead of liable, as responsible is what I meant. (...) Gosh I hope not! It is hard to tell when one personally is getting a pass, or when one's close friends are (one's judgement is clouded a bit). Can (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) expect (...) I want to point out that liability, in a legal sense, and responsibility in a pseudo-philosophical sense are different things. I agree that for practical reasons parents can't be held liable for actions of their adult children. On (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: [snip] (...) even (...) slur. It was originally a slur, but it isn't now. Now it has just become a part of our language. It had never occurred to me that it was a slur before this came up. (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Wow, that's an interesting angle. I'm not sure I have any pat answer there. What liability do parents have for their children's actions? After they are adults, most would say not much. But while they are kids? I dunno. (...) All of the above, (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Actually, I did too. :) I'm a very un-uptight (downtight?) person, so it was surprising to see such a visceral indictment of a post I made in a completely neutral mood--I think (and correct me on this if I'm wrong) that Tom believed I was (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) For the record, I got a chuckle out of Tom's post. (...) Knowing how kids (adolescents, really) are, isn't raising kids in an environment where racisim is embraced really the same as advocating the initiation of force? I think that parents who (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Just because the world's going to hell in a handcart doesn't give you the right to push it faster. (...) Actually, the most of the world's population have more important things to worry about than being offended. Things like having enough (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Whoa there... Here's my take, not like anyone cares... :-) No one has a right not to be offended. If someone chooses to use language that is bigoted or demonstrates prejudice, as long as that person is not advocating the initiation of force, (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) of (...) From : (URL) I found: Gyp A college servant, whose office is that of a gentleman's valet, waiting on two or more collegians in the University of Cambridge. He differs from a bed-maker, inasmuch as he does not make beds; but he runs (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) a (...) you (...) I'd (...) didn't (...) clearly (...) People (...) used (...) Jewish (a (...) exploded (...) Apparently all too easily - Encarta's on-line dictionary only notes the word gyp "possibly" comes from gypsy (though it seems likely (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

Well, I AM going to say it - you're too damned uptight. The world is going to hell in a handbasket, and part of it is everybody whining about something, and people having to watch every word they say. GYP GYP GYP. I say it all the time. I don't give (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

Eric, (...) Thank you for being the one to point this out--I thought about it but figured I'd be taken to task for being uptight or something, and after the day I had I didn't think it would be worth it. Unfortunately, you're absolutely right about (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Has the world gone mad?!?

(...) not (...) The same thing happened at this fair. Someone built an tightly angled base for their X-Wing, which picked up 3rd place. These goobers didn't have the good sense to build alternate models. Right now I'm planning on a space station (...) (25 years ago, 13-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.us.tn.mem, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.tn)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) A lot of people aren't aware of this, but the phrase "to gyp" someone is actually a racist slur against gypsies, just as the term "to jew" someone is a slur against, well, jews. I know you probably weren't aware of this, because most people (...) (25 years ago, 13-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Wiccans (Was: Re: Ninja page update (mine :-))

(...) offensive. (...) Well, I didn't mean to reference the current (peaceful, I guess) practices of people who call themselves Wiccans today. That said, there is a body of beliefs and practices about witches and warlocks that ranges from the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers. I don't think you can boil it down to one convenient factor. (...) Civil liberties, racial equality, gun control, abortion, school prayer, censorship, business rights, unions, and on and on. (...) (25 years ago, 5-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) It looks like I failed to communicate. I understood your note. (...) Right. That's my perception too. (...) I know. Now what do real liberals believe? And more importantly, what is the single factor that most closely correlates with the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) Ummmmm, you were supposed to laugh! Extreme right wingers excoriate Clinton for being this rabid liberal, but if you strung out all liberals in a line, you'd find him over on the right-hand side. The further south you go, the milder the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) I wasn't whining at all. I could not care less. He's a republican. Blah. (...) Bush has to do something to pretend he is a centrist, I wouldn't be surprised. It would be the smart move. (...) No. Not at the price of having Dubya select any (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) What do 'real' liberals believe? As I think of it, at some point on the leftward scale you become a communist in favor of maximal wealth redistribution. Is wealth distribution the crucial factor in everyone else's mind, or is that just me? If (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) Clinton (...) Haha! And here I just said in another message that my wife views Clinton as a Republican! (okay, not really, but it's a measure of how much of a centrist he is). Bruce (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) Gosh, what will everyone think when a *real* liberal shows up? My wife thinks Clinton is a Republican. :-) Bruce (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd writes: Mostly agree, so snipped most of it... BUT... (...) I really really don't think I'm right-wing.... But I consider Clinton to be quite socialist-leaning, when you dig through the rhetoric and (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) Clinton's fairly liberal for a Republican. (...) Indeed. Chris (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) What? You mean that they froze the market for a while? I tend to think that's a good thing. (...) That's me, Chris the Leftist! (...) Like what? (...) Well, you have to admit that a tax cut is the last thing this nation needs right now. (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) The thing I really enjoy about .debate is watching all the tiny tantrums folks (myself included) post here. The laughs really clear my head and help me get a fresh perspective on the day. Thanks, Scott. I knew I could count on you. Cheers, - (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

Bruce (And all you McClain supporters out there), I am just wreathing at the Microsoft debacle, and now we go in on the McCain debacle. What is it? Is this not decided already? This sounds like a leftist whine fest. "Ah, gee whiz, he lost!" I have a (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) "Compassionate conservative." When push came to shove, he ran as far right as he could and tried to declare McCain a liberal (I would hardly declare Clinton a liberal, much less McCain). (...) People are always trying to paint their opposition (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: McCain etc. (was: Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close)

Chris, (...) system (...) The one he is for, yes. (...) Wow, there is a surprise. (...) I disagree with Mccain on his campaign finance reform because it is the same line leftist have being saying for years. It hurts how the Republican National (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) Can't we think of something better? (...) So when I'm convicted of a capitol crime and am put to death for it, even though I didn't do it, that's not an infringement on my rights? I disagree. (...) Sure, just like you could surrender to the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) And your friends from church take what stance on bags? And what about on cars and the environment? (...) This implies to me that you see right-conservatives favoring liberal positions on a regular basis. IS that what you mean? Which liberal (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  McCain etc. (was: Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close)

(...) You're saying that campaign finance reform is a leftist topic? I don't think so. Gore isn't really reform-minded. In general no establishment politicians are going to be. If McCain truely is, then he's an exception. (...) Are you claiming that (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) on (...) election. (...) I don't think so. We shall see. The polls still favor Bush, as far as I have seen. (...) Well, campaign finance is a HUGE one, for starters. I think the whols system is gfarbage, and putting the government in more (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) if (...) say (...) on (...) think (...) that's (...) What I meant is that I was talking about abortion, and I didn't feel like going over this again, because I think we discussed this before. (...) Well, it is war, and killing is involved. (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

Chris, (from Scott, who should really be working rather than staying on off topic) Anyway, ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> To: <lugnet.off-topic.de...ugnet.com> Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2000 10:50 PM (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) ^^^^^ Ack! Really folks, that was supposed to be a their. I'm up past my bed time. Chris (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes: [snip] (...) I certainly wonder that. He was there only chance of winning the election. We'll be welcoming (or whatever) President Gore next year. Uggh. (...) Ummmm...not the McCain that I (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

(...) Scott, in the past, you have taken offense at my writing and it sounds as if you may be here. If I'm wrong, discount this paragraph, but... I didn't say that zealots only occupied one side of the issue. All issues have zealots on both sides. (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

Hi Scott, (...) Right, but it's the norm for those who don't want to spend double duty on their children's education. I'm all in favor of school vouchers (or complete privatization, for that matter). But what are you getting at here? (...) Well, it (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close

Bruce; (Big sigh, and away we go!) (...) again, (...) Well, Clinton was the master of it, it was a Dick Morris idea, btw, and it worked beautifully for him (The era of big government is over. HA!!!...!!!) (...) I don't think so, BTW. Anyway: (...) (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact