 Off-Topic / Debate / 5265
Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 01:14:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Well, I AM going to say it - you're too damned uptight.

Whoa there...

Here's my take, not like anyone cares... :-) No one has a right not to be
offended. If someone chooses to use language that is bigoted or demonstrates
prejudice, as long as that person is not advocating the initiation of force,
there isn't much that can be done about it, legally, nor should there be.

However, I AM offended by slur words. You may not care, I don't have the right
to not be offended, but if my opinion matters to you, maybe you might want to
know.

I've already discussed it in this forum in a previous context (the "mighty
white of you" remarks). I'd prefer that my friends not use welsh, gyp, jew,
"mighty christian of you", "don't be so gay", "that was a po-lock move", "afro
engineered" and just about any other racial, trait/preference based, or ethnic
slur you could imagine.

People do, and I get over it. But if they make a habit of it, I do tend to
think just a tiny bit less of them. And as for strangers, well, it gives me a
bit more data to evaluate whether I want to deal with them or not.

There ARE bigger problems out there, but I'd just rather that my kids, for
example, never ever use the n word, and getting them to think about why that is
involves having them think about why if the n word is wrong, other, milder
slurs are too.

The world is going to hell in
a handbasket,

Yes it is. And we've already discussed how I feel about profanity as well.
You're excited, so I won't sweat it. But is that how you want my kids to
perceive you? They DO read here although they're not allowed to post, yet. As
of the mo, .debate is off limits to them so it may not matter.

++Lar