 Off-Topic / Debate / 5272
Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 00:47:36 GMT

I want to point out that liability, in a legal sense, and responsibility in a
pseudo-philosophical sense are different things.

Agreed. I should have said responsible instead of liable, as responsible is
what I meant.

Mild, extremely mild. But yes, there are three quite mild epithets in Tom's
post. Not too strong for here, but possibly too strong for elsewhere (I'd say
LUGNET is big enough that it has different defacto standards in different
places, would you agree?)

I would agree, but does Todd?  I had posting restricted for use of a
term with the initials BS.  That's fine, them's the rules, but
they're enforced  sporadically - and I think maybe - selectively.

Gosh I hope not! It is hard to tell when one personally is getting a pass, or
when one's close friends are (one's judgement is clouded a bit). Can you
elaborate.... because:

I don't particularly like that aspect of it.

and neither do I. This is something, if true, that needs to be fixed. As you've
heard me say before, justice must be blind. Is it true? How can we tell?

But first impressions do matter. It's taken me quite a while to
unlearn some I've made, and in some cases, I haven't.

Sure, the same holds for me as well, but not for such trivial stuff.
And Tom's note which was excited and a little over-the-top, was not
off the deep end.

several points which together don't make a coherent whole...

- Trivial is trivial, indeed. But there also is the slippery slope factor.
- I consider Tom a good friend indeed and hope that he doesn't think that we're
dissecting this for any other reason than that it makes good debate fodder...
- but I still have my preferences :-)
- One thing to note, though, this is extremely small beer even in the small
pond that is Lugnet, much less in the wider societal context.

++Lar