 Off-Topic / Debate / 5263
Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:36:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Eric,

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Ahui Herrera writes:

You should really
really read the book and you will fell that the movie was a jip!

A lot of people aren't aware of this, but the phrase "to gyp" someone is
actually a racist slur against gypsies, just as the term "to jew" someone is • a
slur against, well, jews.

I know you probably weren't aware of this, because most people aren't, but • you
might want to re-evaluate the term's place in your vocabulary accordingly.

Thank you for being the one to point this out--I thought about it but figured • I'd
be taken to task for being uptight or something, and after the day I had I • didn't
think it would be worth it.

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right about most people not seeing the ethnic
slur in the term (although both the "gyp" and "jew" examples are much more • clearly
so to us than "welsh," as in "welshing on a bet," which is also a slur). • People
are unthinking enough that when I was teaching at Michigan State, a student • used
the "to jew" slur in passing when talking to their TA, who was obviously • Jewish (a
conspicuous Mogen David necklace)--and then couldn't understand why she • exploded
into a rage.

But looking at the way the original poster spelt the word--that's how a lot of
people spell it--it's easy to understand how its origins could be obscured.

Apparently all too easily - Encarta's on-line dictionary only notes the word
gyp "possibly" comes from gypsy (though it seems likely to me).

Bruce