 Off-Topic / Debate / 5314
Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:34:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mr L F Braun wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

One supposed explanation of why left handed is bad is if you think about
troops in a shield wall, and how badly such a formation would be messed
up by a left hander.

Only if the rest of the wall is made up of those goofy right-handers I keep
hearing about!

  I always thought it was because the left hand was the primordial
  "wiping hand"--most people preferring the right meant that one
  had to keep it clean.  This may of course be apocryphal.

I've heard that as well.  It was related to cultures with strong
feelings/tradition around 'clean' and 'defiled', I seem to remember.

On the other hand (!) to use another period example, a lefty fighting his
way up a spiral staircase would be at an advantage, since such stairways
spiral counter-clockwise and thereby pin the swordarm of northpaws...

  Actually, a lefty fighting their way up a spiral staircase would
  still be at a disadvantage, because the opponent would be above
  them.  ;)  And, of course, if the opponent were right-handed,
  they would also not have their preferred arm pinned *and* would
  be in the superior position.  (Of course, if the enemy were not
  wearing shinguards, recalculate the above.  ;) )

"I admit it--your are a better swordsman than I."
"Then why are you smiling?"
"Because I know something that you do not."
"What is that?"
"I am not left-handed!"

  I even pitch right-handed.

I avoid sports equally with both hands.