 Off-Topic / Debate / 5243
Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:10:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

Why is killing people in war OK?

Well, it is war, and killing is involved. There have been many battles /

Can't we think of something better?

What about
capital punishment?  In fact, support of capital punishment is a perfect
example for that other note to demonstrate how the right wants to impinge • on
freedom.  Surely killing people counts.

Capitol punishment is not infringing rights, as far as I am concerned. If
you are convicted of a capitol crime, you know the consequences. I do like

So when I'm convicted of a capitol crime and am put to death for it, even
though I didn't do it, that's not an infringement on my rights?  I disagree.

If killing people in, say, the conflict in Vietanm, was OK because the • gubmint
told people to,

Well, the North Vietnamese had a choice, right? they could have surrendered.

Sure, just like you could surrender to the liberals who want to take your guns.
Go ahead, but I won't.  And, I wouldn't have surrendered as the VC if the US
came into my house and started killing my friends and family.

What did those North Vietnamese ever do to us?

Well, what was the war fought about? Weren't the Soviets and Chinese in it
too? There are a lot of issues here, Chris, the above statement is
simplistic and, IMHO, needs better defining.

How so?  How is it too simplistic.  I think that at the very root, when you're
going to kill folks, you should have an answer to the question "what did they
do to me?"  A good answer.

I think killing people, or abortion doctors, or blowing up
abortion clinics is wrong.

Well, good.  But why?  Why is it wrong?

Well, because right now, abortion is legal, and killing a person who

So if rape were legal, using lethal force to stop one would be wrong?  Not for
me.  The law has very little to do with right and wrong.

preforms abortions, even though how heinous he/she might be, is still
murder. Murders are sometimes justified, not in this case. There are other

Why not in this case?  In what cases are murders justified?

ways of approaching abortion.

Isn't saving lots of life at the
expense of one or a few (especially when they're the murderers who would • end
those lots of lives) worth it?

Well, Chris, start blowing up clinics then.

No, no, no.  That's not what I'm getting at.  I'm not really against abortion
in any strong sense.  I'm just saying that I understand the logic that goes
behind such actions.  I am weirdly sympathetic to both sides.

Well, Chris, I think murdering unborn children is wrong, and I do think God
will deal with those people. It seems like you have a real chip on your
shoulder when it comes to abortion, but in other areas, no. I don't get it.

What's the chip on my shoulder?  I'm not taking offense at anything you've
said, I'm just exploring ideas.  Actually, I'm troubled by how little progress
I've made in the past ten years toward taking a stance of _any_ kind on
abortion.  I am defacto pro-choice because I'm pro-choice in general, but I
also see that abortion ends life.

Me neither, I'm just playing with the logic.

No, you're playing with definitions when there are instances where there are
things that aren't always clearly defined.

Hunh?

I think people who don't want to have kids, should either have
contrceptives, or have a serjury.

I agree.  Or they could abstain.

I know of millions who would love to have a little child for
adoption, and can't get one.

You think it's in the millions?  I have no idea, that just seems high to me.  I
guess maybe not, if you mean world-wide.

Your
tone in this debate seems to hon in to me that there are several issues you
do not have on the table.

Yow!  What does it seem like I'm hiding?  I'm trying to be open and frank.  I'm
genuinely surprised that I've come off this way.

There is a misconception of Right wing Christians
here, in which I grow weary of. Hence, Christian-right-phobia.

This discussion isn't about right-wing Christians.  How can I be making you
weary of misconceptions about people who aren't being discussed?

Chris