 Off-Topic / Debate / 5257
Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:27:23 GMT

"Real" was just a
relative juxtaposition next to Clinton's "wimpy" liberalism.  :-)

I know.  Now what do real liberals believe?  And more importantly, what is the
single factor that most closely correlates with the left-right continuum in
your mind...or as a general consensus.

Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different answers.  I don't think you can
boil it down to one convenient factor.

Is wealth distribution the crucial factor in everyone else's
mind, or is that just me?

It's just you.

Meaning that you don't think that the propensity to redistribute the wealth of
the nation is the key difference between liberal and conservative in the US?
What is?

Civil liberties, racial equality, gun control, abortion, school prayer,
censorship, business rights, unions, and on and on.  Both sides favor taxes, so
it's far more honest to say both are trying to distribute the wealth to their
pet projects.

If I'm generally correct, what is the historical difference?

In regards too....?

What I mean is...whether I'm generally right or wrong, what is the history in,
say, the last eighty years, of the difference between the parties.

Civil liberties, racial equality, gun control....and on and on.

Bruce