 Off-Topic / Debate / 5213
Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 17:15:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Libertarianism is generally considered to be strongly toward the right
of the political spectrum.

Not by libertarians, it's not. We reject the one dimensional spectrum. You • need
at least two. See the quiz at www.lp.org, for example.

I have taken the quiz before, interesting diamond shape. However, (no
offense to Libertarians or to Larry) it reminds me of triangulation, in
which Clinton seemed to try to position himself. He was above either the
right or left:

                       Clinton
                     /               \
               Liberal      Conservative

A for them not to the right of the spectrum, I think Libertarians are. They
are not very liberal in most things, IMHO.

?? freedom, victimless crimes, markets as levelers and wealth creators? these
are all classical liberal ideas.

Again, the point of that spectrum is that current left liberals are OK on
personal freedom (factoring out minor PCness) but lousy on economic. current
right conservatives are are OK on economic freedom but lousy on personal.

LFB is right, hitler and stalin are similar but it's not a 1D thing. They are
similar because they both fall toward the bottom of the graph, having slid
there from opposite corners.

Clinton, evaluated by what he has DONE rather than said comes out somewhere
near the boundary of moderate, left liberal area, down toward authoritarian
land (cf some of his snooping proposals and use of FBI and IRS against
enemies, Reno's murderous past and recent power grabs and a bunch of other
stuff)

I said hitler. I lose too.

++Lar