 Off-Topic / Debate / 5254
Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:42:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
Bruce (And all you McClain supporters out there),

   I am just wreathing at the Microsoft debacle, and now we go in on the
McCain debacle. What is it? Is this not decided already? This sounds like a
leftist whine fest.

I wasn't whining at all.  I could not care less.  He's a republican.  Blah.

"Ah, gee whiz, he lost!"  I have a feeling that Mccain
might be the vice presidential nominee.

Bush has to do something to pretend he is a centrist, I wouldn't be surprised.
It would be the smart move.

Would you vote for him then?

No.  Not at the price of having Dubya select any supreme court justices.  I
wouldn't vote for McCain if he was the republican presidential candidate for
the exact same reason.

Is it
so EVIL to be a right-wing conservative (Outside of you leftists out there,
I know what your answer is!)

The consistent thing I get from right-wing conservatives is that liberals are
the root of all evil, can do nothing right (correct <g>), and never did
anything of merit.  Personally, I feel both right and left have gone overboard
at times, and both have made positive contributions to the nation.

Is it so WRONG to want to get a nomination of a
party? My God, folks, if this is how it is, I wonder about a lot of things.

Did I ever say what he did was wrong?  I did say that there is a price that is
to be paid in choosing how he won, that's all.  I'm sure Bush understands this,
but that he also felt it was a price that had to be paid.  In any case, mine
was not a criticism, only an observation.

John McCain attacked Bush over a "risky tax scheme" for the rich. I saw
about four different ads advocating this issue.

Ah, well, I don't watch political ads on TV.  I would advocate that everyone
push the "mute" button, left or right, and we'd all be a lot better off than
listening to these 30 second distortions.  Unfortunately, the vast electorate
either isn't smart or supremely lazy and often make their decisions based on
this crap.  And let me make it clear that ALL sides are guilty of this.  And
the politicians do it because all too often it works.  They need lots of money
to fuel this, so they sell out to deep pockets contributors - makes me want to
vomit.

The "Surplus" for Social
Security. What a joke. It's an OVERCHARGE. That is typical left-wing
demagoguery (SP?) (Al Gore, Clinton's, Bonior, etc) that is typical of all
tax debates. It was a measly little tax cut. Heaven forbid they might cut
taxes.

See, it's always one-sided: those dang liberals.  Maybe we could have a tax cut
if Reagan hadn't borrowed all that money in the past.  I'm a liberal but I say:
those dang politicians.

He openly attacked Bush about trying to get "right-wing"
fundamentalist support. Well, guess what? Most Right-Wing religious
conservatives are in the RUPUBLICAN party.

Ya join the party, ya take yer choices and yer chances.  I don't see the
problem here one way or the other.  There are plenty of Republicans who are not
of the "religious right" persuasion that feel that those people have hijacked
the party.  McCain overestimated the gain he would get by dirtectly

(Another case of
Christian-right-phobia if you ask me) Heaven forbid that a Republican might
want their party nomination! I wonder where the outrage is about AL Gore
tearing Bill Bradley a new one? Huh?

Bradley didn't do a very good job of it, so why spend a lot of effort over it?

I am through with this debate. If you
worship Mccain so much, go and make a new third party, have him join the
reform party or whatever, and stop whining. This is beyond me.

You specifically addressed this current message to me, so I'm left scratching
my head.  1) I'm not whining about McCain one way or the other.  2) You are
confusing me with others.  3) Since when did I say anything either
complimentary or derogatory about McCain?

All I did was analyze what was, and what may be.  From a purely personal
viewpoint, I'd rather have Dubya win because I think Gore will have an easier
time beating him.

Scott "Heaven forbid I might support Bush over Mccain" S. >: (

P.S. If all of you seem not to want Gore in office, I have a suggestion.
Vote for someone else.

I've voted Libertarian in the past as my protest vote, though now it is usually
Green.  But then, rather than vote for Dumb or Dumber (Nixon and McGovern) I
voted for Shirley Chisolm, so I have a long history of protest votes.  Not this
time, though: Al Gore!  Auuuuggghhhh, a namby-pamby barely left of center
liberal wanna-be!  :-)

Bruce