 Off-Topic / Debate / 5231
Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 02:22:51 GMT

Chris,

   ( I am jumping in this a day or late, oh well!)

That's true.  But, when you look at these limitations of freedom there's • sort
of a first glance and then deeper
impacts.  If you tell parents what school their child must/may go to, it • is
first a social freedom that is being
limited.  This may have economic ramifications, but it's not exactly the • same
as taxing income which fits the two
roles in opposite order.

Well, telling which schools to send your kids too is very limiting to
parents, and schools do teach a morality of their own, regardless if it is
Christian or not. I know many parents at my church who have to deprogram the
kids from the rot of all the various agendas in the school, self-esteem,
environmentalist wacko programming, etc. My definition of public schools is
leftist indocrination centers. I truly believe if you have to pay for the
children to go to school, they should be able to send their children to the
schools that they want. Maybe even the services fee rather than the property
tax issue, which is another joke in of itself, and another debate, probably.

But, you're the one claiming that liberals are anti-freedom and presumably • that
conservatives are not.

Left-liberals want the government to control many things, such as if I can
own a gun or not, what cars I can / can't drive, what games I can play (I.E.
Joesph Liberman, D - Conn?) etc. They want to raise my children, teach them,
and tell me what I can and cannot do. That is anti-freedom if I ever have
heard it.

And you
base that thesis on the idea that social and economic freedoms are
intertwined.

To the extent that the government does have a morality all its own, and it
forces it ointo others, such as schools, etc.

First, Republicans have
supported

Some, not all.

(and I'm just pulling one out of my head, here) school prayer and
Democrats have not (generally).

Well, schools have banned Christian clubs from meeting after hours. They
also adovate giving out free condoms and drug needles. Clearly, the
government endorses some behavior and condemns others. I don't think
mandatory school prayer is lawful, but a moment of silence (Not every day in
a class, but as in a assembly) would be OK.

That limits my ability (right?) to send my children to public schools • devoid of
religious content.  So clearly,
conservatives are, in some measure, anti-freedom.

That is funny. Conservatives, in general, want the government to get out of
our lives. Left-liberals, like Hillary and AL Gore, want governmnet to take
over most things, like raising your children and taking over the health care
industry. They want to take your guns away, take more money from you in
terms of taxes, regulate every industry, but conservatives want this as
well? Clearly, Chris, you do not know conservative issues very well.

So because a drug is illegal, it is destructive?  Does that mean that you • think
alcohol is not destructive to
Americans over the age of 21, but destructive to 20 year olds?

Well, as I have said before, it is a matter of personal responsibility, and
not one of government's role. As a side issue, Larry, how does the
Libertarian (Should it be capitolized?) party view age laws, such as
drinking, smoking,. etc? How about child pornography? I am curious on these
issues.

In the same sense, many legally prescribed (and over the counter)
pharmaceuticals, and even regular foods, are
destructive.  That is simple science.

It depends on what you are looking at, what levels, etc. It is a little more
complicated than simple science, folks!

Clearly, I think there are a lot of issues in these debates, maybe they
should be separate, and take each one in a different thread.

Scott S.

Scott E. Sanburn
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Coming Soon: The Sanburn Systems Company