 Off-Topic / Debate / 5215
Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 22:58:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

"Ka-snip"

Again, the point of that spectrum is that current left liberals are OK on
personal freedom (factoring out minor PCness) but lousy on economic. current
right conservatives are are OK on economic freedom but lousy on personal • (freedom).

++Lar

I profoundly disagree. It is liberals who are anti-freedom.

You're not clearly distinguishing betweeen personal and economic freedom, so
you fall into the one dimensional trap.

Liberals are the
ones trying to tax and regulate anything that moves. You are confusing freedom
and morality again.

No I'm not.

Take the quiz.

Abortion, homosexuality, drugs etc. are not matters of
freedom but BASIC morality. All of these things are demonstrably destructive.

2 points.

a) no they're not

I vehemently dispute that homosexuality is in and of itself destructive.
I vehemently dispute that all drugs are destructive. Even all recreational
drugs, since clearly you're not arguing that penicillin is destructive.

Abortion... I just don't even want to discuss that. No common basis as long as
you believe that life begins at conception. DON'T respond, there's nothing to
say.

b) so what if they are, as long as you're the only person harmed.

Set society up so this is the case and you won't need to legislate morality.
Your brand of conservatism does legislate morality, and therefore i reject it.

++Lar