 Off-Topic / Debate / 5238
Re: Reagan... not exactly libertarian, but close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 03:40:54 GMT

Scott, in the past, you have taken offense at my writing and it sounds as • if
you may be here.  If I'm wrong, discount this paragraph, but...  I didn't • say
that zealots only occupied one side of the issue.  All issues have zealots • on
both sides.  What I said is that doctor-assasins are pro-life zealots.  I • think
that most of us can agree on that.  It sounds below like you agree.

I don't think murdering people for
most reasons is acceptable (outside of capitol punishment or war, but • that's
another debate).

No, that's this debate :-)

What I meant is that I was talking about abortion, and I didn't feel like
going over this again, because I think we discussed this before.

Why is killing people in war OK?

Well, it is war, and killing is involved. There have been many battles /
wars in the Bible where God blessed them. (I am reading over King David's
reign right now) WWII is a good example. People were killed, but I think it
was for a proper cause. Not that war is good, we should try to deter it at
all costs.

What about
capital punishment?  In fact, support of capital punishment is a perfect
example for that other note to demonstrate how the right wants to impinge • on
freedom.  Surely killing people counts.

Capitol punishment is not infringing rights, as far as I am concerned. If
you are convicted of a capitol crime, you know the consequences. I do like
Larry P's suggestion, they should work for the victims. The whole system
needs to be looked at, though.

If killing people in, say, the conflict in Vietanm, was OK because the • gubmint
told people to,

Well, the North Vietnamese had a choice, right? they could have surrendered.
Vietnam was a disaster, one the US really should have never gotten in to, or
at least tried to do it different.

then surely killing someone to save thousands of lives is
OK...right?

Sometimes, yes. Like I said, it really depends on the circumstances.

What did those North Vietnamese ever do to us?

Well, what was the war fought about? Weren't the Soviets and Chinese in it
too? There are a lot of issues here, Chris, the above statement is
simplistic and, IMHO, needs better defining.

I think killing people, or abortion doctors, or blowing up
abortion clinics is wrong.

Well, good.  But why?  Why is it wrong?

Well, because right now, abortion is legal, and killing a person who
preforms abortions, even though how heinous he/she might be, is still
murder. Murders are sometimes justified, not in this case. There are other
ways of approaching abortion.

Isn't saving lots of life at the
expense of one or a few (especially when they're the murderers who would • end
those lots of lives) worth it?

Well, Chris, start blowing up clinics then.

I know that if I were in the position of having
to kill someone to stop just a single rape, I would do it.

Yes, it is called self-defense. Left-liberals are trying to take gun
ownership and self protection away as well.

(This is one of
those hypotheticals where you don't get other options like you might have • in
the real world.)  Wouldn't you?  If so, then how can something as little • as a
single rape be worth a murder, but the salvation of thousands of lives not
be?

Well, Chris, I think murdering unborn children is wrong, and I do think God
will deal with those people. It seems like you have a real chip on your
shoulder when it comes to abortion, but in other areas, no. I don't get it.

Nobody in the churches I have attended favor it,
or want to do that.

Me neither, I'm just playing with the logic.

No, you're playing with definitions when there are instances where there are
things that aren't always clearly defined. I think that there are so many
alternatives to abortion, that the number we do have in this county and
elsewher eis absurb. I think the view of sex has been so warped that it is a
fun, no risk situation, and that you should be able to do whatever. It is a
big deal. I think it is a matter of personal responsibility. I think people
who don't want to have kids, should either have contrceptives, or have a
serjury. I know of millions who would love to have a little child for
adoption, and can't get one.

This might be another case of the Christian-right-phobia.

In who?  Me?  I don't get how you could think that.  I'm basically saying • that
I empathize with the pro-life zealots (who are likely to be Christian). • I'm
obviously not against them.  In what way am I demonstrating any stance at • all
toward Christian conservatives?

Well I think pro-choice (I call pro-death) zealots are bad as well. Your
tone in this debate seems to hon in to me that there are several issues you
do not have on the table. There is a misconception of Right wing Christians
here, in which I grow weary of. Hence, Christian-right-phobia.

Scott S.

Scott E. Sanburn
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Coming Soon: The Sanburn Systems Company