 Off-Topic / Debate / 5327
Re: Elian Gonzales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:17:07 GMT

Scott Costello wrote:
I support the policy of sending the boy to live with his natural father, and
am very glad that the two have been reunited, but the ends definately do not
justify the means.  I am appauled and ashamed that something so heinous could
take place in the modern United States.  Thank you for allowing me to voice my
frustrations.

Why I can't say I really support the way Elian was removed from his great-uncles house and reunited
with his father, I don't think there were many other options considering the number of protestors
that were usually around the house.

However, I am more ashamed that this event has gone on for so long in the modern United States.  If
this was a custody battle just involving Americans, a father and a great-uncle/2nd cousin- who would
win?  The father seems to have a decent family, a nice house, good job, etc.  If he was an American,
there would be no doubt that he should be the one to get custody.

Also, although Cuba is ruled under a communist dictatorship, it has several things running for it:
free and universal health care, a lower infant mortality rate than many major US cities, a literacy
rate near 100%, and a impressive organic farming system developed from scratch in the past 10 years
or so.

-Chris