 Off-Topic / Debate / 28651
Re: Elian Gonzales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:21:54 GMT

Well how about that:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/06/15/gonzalez.ap/index.html

Dave!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott P. Costello wrote:
Alright I know that this may not be the proper forum for this discussion, but
I wanted to vent my concerns to someone, and after the extensive anti-Mormon
thread I figured what the heck. (I will endure any flame because of it).

I must say that I am not exactly suprised, but deeply saddened at the actions
taken by Janet Reno and the Department of (in)Justice.  In case you live out
of the country or have been hiding under a rock the past few days, Attourney
General Janet Reno ordered a very violent, military abduction of a six year
old Cuban boy, from his American relatives who had been caring for him for the
past five months.  The boy was dragged at gunpoint kicking and screaming in
terror, enroute to being reunited with his father in Washington DC.

I feel that these actions were excessive, unnecessary, and cruel.  The
President and Janet Reno (neither one famous for their honesty) defend this
action saying that the boys relatives were unwilling to give up the boy
peacefully.  However, at the time of the raid, the family was in negotiations
very close to a solution that would have satisfied all parties involved.  Even
if what they say is true, the pure trauma inflicted on this young boy is
inexcuseable.  Imagine the horror of being dragged out of your home at the
barrel of a machine gun, now imagine it through the eyes of an innocent six
year old child.

I support the policy of sending the boy to live with his natural father, and
am very glad that the two have been reunited, but the ends definately do not
justify the means.  I am appauled and ashamed that something so heinous could
take place in the modern United States.  Thank you for allowing me to voice my
frustrations.

Just one simple American.
Scott