 Off-Topic / Debate / 5348
Re: Elian Gonzales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:37:25 GMT

While true, that's not circular. For example, if you believe in strict
creationism, your view on particular steps of the evolutionary process being
true or not has no bearing, inasmuch as you've not accepted a fundamental
premise (that there is a process and that it has rules about how it works
which we can reason about, as opposed to those rules being overridden by the
whim of a creator) and therefore have no standing to comment on those steps.
You certainly can believe in creationism if you like, but to do so is
delusional.

Well, that's a colorful, if tangential, example, and I expect it might seed
debates of its own.

Similarly, if you deny facts about communist states, you're either an
apologist or delusional. (1) It is not my *opinion* that hard line communist
states routinely deny civil rights, it's a *fact*.

I do not assert that communist states do not routinely deny civil rights,

*Now* you say that but originally you said "Undoubtedly!  But that's still an
assumption based on preconceptions" and that is what is leading me to believe
that you weren't accepting that in fact most people under communist regimes
live in daily danger should they slip up and say what they actually think.

nor do I accept the basis of such an either/or determination.

OK, what are the other possibilities?

Two that you mention are:

- "unaware" which I've just knocked out for you, you're aware now. It's also a
form of delusional, you're deluded (by nonawareness) into thinking that it
isn't a problem... so it's covered that way

- "uncaring" which is just another form of evil.

Still down to a nice either or.

If you don't see systematically denying civil rights as evil,
then your moral code is flawed and I have no interest in your assertions.

That's a dangerously seductive way to avoid having to examine others' views.
I'm intrigued that you would presume to judge my moral code, especially
through the refractive lens of your own.  Does your moral code demand that any
differing or disagreeing code is flawed?  Does your code allow no individual
variance?  That's a pretty lonely code, I think.

Been discussed before, don't want to discuss it again. Moral codes can be
judged and some can be found wanting. ANY code that denies rights is flawed.

Communism=evil?  Far *too* simple to have relevance in anything other than a
Dr. Strangelove-type world.

Now who's grandstanding <grin>.

Indeed, Communism=evil. Deriding it as simple may be fun for the viewing
audience but does not detract from the truth of the proposition. Again, old
ground, but my world view is rather crisp, any morality that purports to take
away rights, for whatever reason, is flawed.

Take it or leave it. Remember, I don't really CARE what anyone else thinks. I
don't get validation from other people saying they approve.

++Lar