 Off-Topic / Debate / 5330
Re: Elian Gonzales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:36:05 GMT

I find the sight of Janet Reno, the Butcher of Waco, on TV with a quivering
lip emoting about how concerned she is about Elian and the "rule of law" to
be the most ludicrous thing I've seen so far this century.

  All murderous issues aside, isn't her "quivering lip" due to her Parkinson's
as opposed to some affected emotionalism?

Is a father who either sincerely wishes, or is under duress strong enough to
cause him to appear that he sincerely wishes, to return his child to a
communist police state necessarily fit to have custody? I would go with no.

  This seems to presume that parents in a communist state must either be
decietful or under duress to wish to remain in that state themselves.  Is it
impossible that someone might actually choose to live in a communist country?
Sr. Gonzales has observed that, given the light security surrounding him while
in the US, he could have fled at any time, if he'd wished to remain here.  I
would have to respect his wish to return to Cuba as genuine until it's
demonstrated otherwise.

Why do the wishes of the mother no longer carry any weight?

  Because she's dead and we have a surviving parent.  If she'd died in a
desperate bid to carry the child from Arizona to New Mexico, the surviving
father in Arizona would've immediately resumed custody.

we are left with the self-serving political grandstanding from all sides.

Now THAT is true. Hilarious how both demopublicans are trying to claim that
they never supported the current administration's actions.

Boy, ain't that the truth!  Republicans are in a rush to proclaim "American
Family Values" while simultaneously attempting to strip a father and son of
their right to be together, while Democrats are desperate to uphold the "rule
of law," perhaps for the first time in a long time!

     Dave!