 Off-Topic / Debate / 5347
Re: Elian Gonzales
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:15:13 GMT

Okay, okay.  No one here denies that Cuba has a lot to answer for, civil-
rights-wise.  Some people feel that that's the paramount issue here, while
others feel that the question is one of rightful parental custody.

It's not entirely a custody matter. In my view Elian applied for asylum
merely by appearing here.

Hmm... That's interesting, and I hadn't previously considered it that way.
If he'd fallen out of an overflying plane, would he (assuming his survival)
likewise have applied automatically for asylum?

Sorry, I was insufficiently precise. Merely by *deliberately* appearing here.
If I fall out of a plane flying over Rwanda by accident it probably isn't my
intent to apply for asylum there.

Now, normally I try to avoid assigning intent but I'd say that the intent of
Elian's mother was pretty clear, she had custody, she and he were fleeing
oppression. I doubt that she and the others 'accidentally' got on those rafts,
although that's the line I'd advocate she take were she picked up by the Cuban
Navy :-)

++Lar