 Off-Topic / Fun / 5089
Re: Idle Ramblings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:30:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Philip Ogston writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Shiri Dori writes:
In case you're wondering-- I was thinking of boycotting the MCAS myself, but
decided against it for personal reasons, regarding the choices I'll have to
make two years from now.

Keep on truckin', man!  You gotta make the best out of school.  They like to
do
it backwards here: instead of teaching you useful stuff and letting you
practice it on your own, they have you perform a bunch of essentially
meaningless tasks and let you figure out how to learn from them.

Uh, yeah, I noticed. I have a lot to rant about the US school system, and for
that matter the Israeli one too. I do think the Israeli one (in which I spent
most of my years) is slightly better, but not by much.
The school I went to for the past two years (1997-1999) was such a good
school, tho', that I find it extra hard to adjust to anything else. It was an
experimental school, what you americans call an "anarchist school". And the
thing is, it wasn't only *fun* to be there, or just "cool"... but I actually
learned more in those two years than any other two years of my school
education. And I *remember* and _understand_ the things I learned (not so much
the things I was taught-- I learned a lot on my own, with slight guidiance
from teachers), and that, IMHO, is FAR more important than getting straight
A's (which, frankly, I did and still do).

You can get something out of standardized tests if you apply yourself - like
me, I can draw bullets for bulleted lists like no one else (#2 pencil no
less)!
Seriously, look at the kids planning the boycot, they're learning to get
themselves heard, to be their own spokes-people, to organize thmeselves.  I
learned a lot about deductive reasoning from multiple choice tests.

That's true.

And you
can learn how to please people who don't actually know how to recognize high
quality work (like corporate managers and human resources departments).

If that works, I won't have any trouble finding a job. ;-)

Of course it's not fair to poorer schools, but there really shouldn't be poor
schools should there?  Why is school funding based on local property tax?
It's
because rich people deserve a better education.  Why?  Because they're rich,
and they hold the political and economic power in this country.  Now you
wouldn't want the ruling class to be stupid, would you?  How would we ever get
along with stupid leaders?  They might waste all our precious money on poor
people.

Youch. I know you're kidding (OK, I hope you're kidding) but still, that's why
I hate capitalism. It goes hand in hand with democracy, which is the stupidest
thing ever. All people are equal, but the rich people are better. Yuck.

PS.  Why are you writing Lugnet posts in the middle of the day, Shiri?  Don't
you have classes to boycot?

Well, as Frank said - it's spring break here. Although I *should* go help my
mom prepare for the Seder... but no school, anyhow. Yay!

-Shiri

XFUT .o-t.debate