 Off-Topic / Debate / 5312
Re: Idle Ramblings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 15:56:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Philip Ogston writes:
I think one problem with American schools is that they think that there's a
strict curriculum which everybody needs to learn in order to succeed in
life.  What they don't realize is that you can succeed just as well as a
baker or a carpenter or a ditch digger as >you can as a CEO or a professor
or venture capitalist.  You might not make as much money, but it's really
stupid to think that that's what makes people successful.

This is playing dangerously close to equivocation: using one mindset’s
definition of success to refute the success of another mindset that uses a
different definition.  If you define success as happiness or job satisfaction
(and that’s a valid definition), than certainly a ditch digger can in theory
be as successful as a wealthy CEO.  If, however, you define success as
financial achievement (and that’s also a valid, though differing, definition),
then a $24000/year ditchdigger’s going to have a harder time achieving success
than an executive who makes 10 or 100 times that amount.

And, ironically, it's probably exactly that belief that prevents people from
having good lives.

I agree that a good measure of success, outside of capitalistic
definitions, is the amount of happiness one experiences in everyday life.
However, at the risk of pimping for capitalism, I can assert that every
significant "problem" currently facing me—that is, a problem detracting from
my happiness—stems directly from financial causes.  Money cannot directly
"buy" happiness, but it can "buy-off" those matters causing me unhappiness,
and a reduction of unhappiness would seem to lead to a net increase in
happiness.

     Dave!