 Off-Topic / Debate / 5318
Re: Idle Ramblings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:38:22 GMT

<snip>
I'd venture to say that the attitude he displays helps drag down the
standards of American education.  It's one thing to be upset with the quality
of your school's education; it's quite another to be upset because they dare
try to educate you.  How excited about learning can you get, if you'd rather
whine about learning from books?

Touche.  I'm not trying to drag down standards, nor criticize you.  I'm not
saying you criticized me; we each have our own opinion, and are entitled to
it.  My GPA is 3.2, but I've never liked learning from books.  For me, I learn
a lot more by going to a museum and seeing something and hearing someone who
KNOWS what they're doing talk about it, as opposed to reading it in a book.
It's just more effective for me.  Example:  last year my Geometry teacher
couldn't find her "teacher's edition," so we had study hall for two periods,
until she found it.  Why?  Because she didn't know anything about it.  This
isn't gonna do me any good now (I'm a senior), but I'd like to know that when
my kids go to school many years down the road, their teachers actually know
what they're teaching.  I feel that that's the reason American education is in
such bad situation.
-Chris